nuk

Default sliding table on contractors saw

Hello,

I have a 10" contractor saw, and for a variety of reasons, it's gonna be
a while (year or two) before I move 'up in the world' to a cabinet saw.
In the meantime, I'm getting kind of frustrated w/ crosscut/miter sleds,
and the time/material I'm having to put into them. A sliding table
seems like a partial solution.

First option seems to be a Mulecab AccuSlider table (it appears the
same thing is sold rebranded by Rockler). Relatively inexpensive,
fairly simple, light, and I've actually seen a couple places on the
Internet where people have fitted them to contractor saws.

Other option would be a Delta (or Grizzly, I hear it is a cheaper clone
of the Delta) sliding table. Appears somewhat nicer than the Mulecab,
but I'm interested in any stories of success/failure attaching one to a
contractor saw.

The DeWalt sliding table seems to be very nice; compact, smooth, and
very solid (but kind of heavy; would tippage be a concern?) Again, I've
seen where people have fitted these to UniSaws, and Grizzly 1023's, but
not contractor saws. Any info would be appreciated.

The Exaktor and Excalibur tables seem to be a bit more than I'm looking
for, at least the models I've seen. It looks like they take up a lot of
space, and are more for a static (i.e. not a roll-around/mobile setup).
Also kind of pricey.

Last option (because I do actually kind of like the little varmint) is
the Ryobi BT3x00. Kind of wish Ryobi would commit to a wide table kit
specifically for the 3100 before I seriously consider it.

Like I said, any tales of woe or success or whatever of back-fitting a
sliding table to a contractor saw is welcome. If you have a link to a
web page w/ pictures and descriptions, bonus!

TIA,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.
Mark Jerde

nuk wrote:

I have a 10" contractor saw, and for a variety of reasons, it's gonna
be a while (year or two) before I move 'up in the world' to a cabinet
saw. In the meantime, I'm getting kind of frustrated w/
crosscut/miter sleds, and the time/material I'm having to put into
them. A sliding table seems like a partial solution.

This book shows how to build one. Page 13. Been thinking of making one
myself.

(Cover)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/15...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(Amazon page)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...505589-7557723

-- Mark

nuk

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:22:21 GMT, Mark Jerde wrote:

This book shows how to build one. Page 13. Been thinking of making one
myself.

Sliding table or crosscut sled? For some reason I can't find the book listed
@ Taunton's site, which is kind of weird. If you get it, let me know
if you like it; it looks interesting.

Thanks,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

nuk wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:22:21 GMT, Mark Jerde wrote:

This book shows how to build one. Page 13. Been thinking of making one
myself.

Sliding table or crosscut sled? For some reason I can't find the book listed
@ Taunton's site, which is kind of weird. If you get it, let me know
if you like it; it looks interesting.

Go with a sled for the time being. My single runner panel sled cost me under
$30 for materials (new) and holds calibration -- no light shows between
a fresh crosscut and the blade of an 18" Starrett combo square with stock
held hard against the adjacent edge, even after a year's daily use. Not
sure I'd ever need to "upgrade" to a full sliding table.
Mark Jerde

nuk wrote:

Sliding table or crosscut sled?

Sliding table. There are a couple of crosscut sleds in the book too, like
many other books. g

For some reason I can't find the
book listed @ Taunton's site, which is kind of weird.

It.is out of print.

If you get it, let me know
if you like it; it looks interesting.

I check it out from my local library every few months & flip through for
ideas.

-- Mark