Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening Saw Blades?

Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can
get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor Cal,
around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
et...
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you
can get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor
Cal, around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/shar...fa4f50f0 6e42

A 40T blade is $13. I've had a few done and they came back cutting better
than new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:21:39 GMT, "Rima Neas"
wrote:

Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can
get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor Cal,
around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

I have seen some blades come back from the local service kind of beat
up. I did not study them as they were sent out so they could have been
damaged before they left. It has been a while ago but I seem to recall
weird profiles on teeth. Others have had great luck with local
sharpening services. I imagine there have to be a lot of sharpeners in
my market. I need to ask the guy I ride bikes with who sharpens the
blades in his cabinet shop.

I do have a blade from my radial arm saw that some clown chipped at
least a few teeth. That saw I bought when I was at a company. I left
that job and bought the saw when they went out of business. I see
Forrest will replace those teeth which sounds good to me.

I did a quick google for saw sharpening and I found one shop that has
lower prices than Forrest. There are probably lots of less expensive
options.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rima Neas wrote:
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening?

I use my local sharpening guy. Roughly 25 cents/tooth for a typical blade.

They also sell good blades, router bits, sandpaper, planer/jointer
knives, etc...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rima Neas wrote:
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can
get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor Cal,
around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Lots of good advice here, but are there any good services north of the
49th? I'm in Alberta, and have some blades that have seen better days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:

Lots of good advice here, but are there any good services north of the
49th? I'm in Alberta, and have some blades that have seen better days.

I've dealt with Great Western Saw in Saskatoon.

There's probably someone in Calgary/Edmonton, but I have no personal
knowledge of anyone there. Maybe ask around at one of the Woodworkers
Guilds?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rima Neas wrote:
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening?

My Forrest blades go back to Forrest. A few years ago, I got a Chop
Master stuck in 8/4 maple. I 'fessed up when I returned it for service,
and Forrest reflattened it for free, and it's still a great blade.

Everything else, including better carbide router bits and jointer and
planer knives, go out to a local shop via Woodcraft or Coastal Tool. I
think the stipend that the retailers add works out to shipping costs,
but a round trip is less than a week.

I have a local sharpening shop within _walking_ distance from my home,
who took 4 months to do my last set of knives, and screwed up the set
before it, so I drive right by him. I so wanted things to work
out... G
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Rima Neas wrote:
[...]

Wasn't Carl Dudash by any chance?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
et...
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came
with my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when
you can get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service
(Nor Cal, around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/shar...fa4f50f0 6e42

A 40T blade is $13. I've had a few done and they came back cutting better
than new.

I agree. I send all of my blades to Ridge Carbide Tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Wasn't Carl Dudash by any chance?

No.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Colin B. wrote:

Lots of good advice here, but are there any good services north of the
49th? I'm in Alberta, and have some blades that have seen better days.

I've dealt with Great Western Saw in Saskatoon.

There's probably someone in Calgary/Edmonton, but I have no personal
knowledge of anyone there. Maybe ask around at one of the Woodworkers
Guilds?

Chris

Check with your local hardware stores. If they don't provide the
service personally they may send them out to somebody that does.
Although in Alberta it would probably be just as cost effective buying
new.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:43:18 -0800, "Frank Drackman"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
et...
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came
with my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when
you can get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service
(Nor Cal, around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/shar...fa4f50f0 6e42

A 40T blade is $13. I've had a few done and they came back cutting better
than new.

I agree. I send all of my blades to Ridge Carbide Tool.

How did you guys package the blades for shipping? I have several to
sharpen and like the prices on the site..
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I use the original box that they came in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
et...
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you
can get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor
Cal, around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

Forrest can restore to original factory specs where as many sharpening
services cannot. I switched to Forrest after many years of using a local
service that did what I though was a damn fine job with computer controlled
sharpening machines to 800 grit. I tried Forrest once and then tried my
local service again. I used the blade sharpened by my local service for 1
week and sent it back to Forrest.
I always request that the blade be restored to factory specs with a limit of
$50 before calling for authorization.

Doe it make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can get a new blade for
$60?
It would be $20 cheaper than buying the same new blade. Put the $60 towards
a Forrest blade and you will probably go longer between sharpenings and get
better cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:03:29 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Doe it make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can get a new blade for
$60?

My sharpened blades are often better than new! ;^)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Oren" wrote in message
How did you guys package the blades for shipping? I have several to
sharpen and like the prices on the site..

Cardboard box with a cardboard spacer between each one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oren wrote:

How did you guys package the blades for shipping? I have several to
sharpen and like the prices on the site..

I sandwich each blade between cardboard squares, tape it together, and
pack it in another flat box made from folded cardboard. Each blade is
indiviually wrapped in cardboard before going into the master box. This
is the same way Forrest returns blades to me. I saved the Forrest
container for future use.

The rady to ship package, with one or two blades, looks like a 1" thick
record album.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 10:21 pm, "Rima Neas" wrote:
Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can
get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor Cal,
around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

There are a lot of shops who can do every bit as good a job on the
Forrest blades as Forrest does, when you run out of the sharpening
coupons they give you, look into them.
Most blades in the US run around 30 cents per tooth , some higher some
lower but a good stack seems to run about 30 cents when averaged
together.