Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Jefferson

Default Sharpening TS Blades Yourself

What are the pros and cons of taking a file and running it across the carbon
teeth of a 10" combination blabe a couple of times just to touch it up a
bit?

Never seen a discussion of this before. Anyone care to comment?

Dan J

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:15:56 -0500, "Dan Jefferson"
wrote:

What are the pros and cons of taking a file and running it across the carbon
teeth of a 10" combination blabe a couple of times just to touch it up a
bit?

Never seen a discussion of this before. Anyone care to comment?

Dan J

It's a fine idea if you use a diamond file like the DMT series and
stay with the existing profile.

Clean the blade thoroughly first, then test it.

Sometimes this can be enough, without using the files.

I clean my blades with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner and a brass wire brush.

Then I take them to the sink and wash them with soap and water.

Then I put DriCote on them.

It's funny how well a "dull" blade will cut after a thorough cleaning.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

I have always sharpened my own saw blades by hand. Circular, hand saws
& chain saws. Regular files work fine on steel blades and the new
diamond hones touch up carbides nicely.
Just pay close attention to the various angles on the teeth and
maintain those angles. It's just a matter of interest, concentration
and practice to save yourself from the local saw mangler.G
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

What are the pros and cons of taking a file and running it across the carbon
teeth of a 10" combination blabe a couple of times just to touch it up a
bit?

Not as good as taking a very small number of quid and buying yourself a
cheap modern blade with carbide teeth (which are obviously fileproof).
If you're using just the one "combination" blade, then you can probably
improve your blade overall (and sharpen it) for very little money.

If you have a carbide blade, then try honing with a diamond file (DMT
are about the best, and their little ones on a plastic handle are
cheap). This will work if the blade is genuinely dull. However much wear
on sawblades causes odd chipped teeth, rather than a general dulling,
and you can't hone that away.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Warren Weber

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of taking a file and running it across the
carbon teeth of a 10" combination blabe a couple of times just to touch it
up a bit?

Never seen a discussion of this before. Anyone care to comment?

Dan J

I am lucky to have a firm that sharpens my blades to perfection. They are so
good that cut wood is so smooth that it looks like it was just sanded. Our
school district wood shop sends their NEW blades to have them trued and
sharpened before they are put to use. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier Henderson

Warren Weber wrote:
"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of taking a file and running it across the
carbon teeth of a 10" combination blabe a couple of times just to touch it
up a bit?

Never seen a discussion of this before. Anyone care to comment?

Dan J

I am lucky to have a firm that sharpens my blades to perfection. They are so
good that cut wood is so smooth that it looks like it was just sanded. Our
school district wood shop sends their NEW blades to have them trued and
sharpened before they are put to use. WW

Can you share the name of this shop? And, do you know if they do mail
order business?

Thanks.

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of taking a file and running it across the
carbon teeth of a 10" combination blabe a couple of times just to touch it
up a bit?

Never seen a discussion of this before. Anyone care to comment?

Dan J

First, a file will not cut a carbide tooth. It will sharpen a carbon steel
blade. But why? I have my carbide blades sharpened to perfection for less
than $30.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com