Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Behning Jim Behning is offline

Default Sharpening Saw Blades?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:21:39 GMT, "Rima Neas"
wrote:

Where do folks send their table saw blades for sharpening? I sent my
Forrest blade back to them and they did a good job, but it wasn't exactly
cheap. Now I am wondering what to do with the Makita blade that came with
my chop saw... Does it even make sense to spend $40 to sharpen when you can
get a new blade for $60? Should I be looking for a local service (Nor Cal,
around Palo Alto) or does everyone just UPS their blades out?

Cheers, Shawn

I have seen some blades come back from the local service kind of beat
up. I did not study them as they were sent out so they could have been
damaged before they left. It has been a while ago but I seem to recall
weird profiles on teeth. Others have had great luck with local
sharpening services. I imagine there have to be a lot of sharpeners in
my market. I need to ask the guy I ride bikes with who sharpens the
blades in his cabinet shop.

I do have a blade from my radial arm saw that some clown chipped at
least a few teeth. That saw I bought when I was at a company. I left
that job and bought the saw when they went out of business. I see
Forrest will replace those teeth which sounds good to me.

I did a quick google for saw sharpening and I found one shop that has
lower prices than Forrest. There are probably lots of less expensive
options.