Posted to rec.woodworking

Default (humor intended) How to remove deer blood from oak?

Hey All,
I'm heading to my butcher's shop now but last night I picked up a
small amount of oak- some rough, some planed and on the way home I
came upon a car/deer collision only seconds old. After making sure
the occupants were okay I saw that the 9 pointer was still alive but
really in bad shape. A witness to the collision (in the opposite
lane) arrived after making a u-turn and he and I restrained the deer
until I could kill it. Not wanting to waste meat we set it in the
pickup bed, trying to avoid the lumber and later I field dressed it in
my back yard. (Under lights, with running water, etc.... All the nice
things about having a hunter friendly house.)
Anyway, my future steak supply bled on some of the oak I had. I hope
it won't stain too deeply. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Any good recommendations for getting blood- deer or others- out of
wood? I already damp wiped the congealed blood from the affected
boards but there is some staining apparent.
Marc (who's wife enjoys the venison he brings home,
regardless of its source)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Marc,

Sure do wish *I* were the one putting that buck meat in the freezer!

I would like to suggest peroxide. Good old 3% that you buy at the drug store
for about 89 cents a quart.
It works for removing blood from fabric, so it should help a little with the
wood.
It may bleach the wood a little though, as it will fade the color from non
colorfast fabric.

Kate

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...

Marc (who's wife enjoys the venison he brings home,
regardless of its source)

Yum, Yum! Road kill!
Am off myself this afternoon to start reducing the doe population here
in Texas.

--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

marc rosen wrote in news:1194097968.735666.87870@
19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Any good recommendations for getting blood- deer or others- out of
wood?

Good story!
I'm not a hunter, but I believe that an oxalic acid solution might take
care of it. Rinse off with plenty of water, multiple times.

I could be wrong ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

get more deer blood and stain it all the same.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

marc rosen wrote:
small amount of oak- some rough, some planed and on the way home I
came upon a car/deer collision only seconds old. ...
Anyway, my future steak supply bled on some of the oak I had. I hope
it won't stain too deeply. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Any good recommendations for getting blood- deer or others- out of
wood? ...

The rough probably won't be much of a problem unless it sat in a
pool--it will probably be gone when surface it.

The other, rinse thoroughly (a little late by now, of course). I'd just
plan on using as normal, then if there is evidence, the oxalic acid
(wood bleach) is where I'd go. It will bleach the wood, too, though,
particularly if it is red oak, so you'll undoubtedly want to do a
uniform treatment and may then need to even color back out before finishing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
[...]

Peroxide will take care of the hemoglobin problem, as Kate says, though the
cells will still be there. Planing will probably do for it if you want to
skip the bleach.

You _did_ get a permit for the road kill, right? I remember a couple of
guys who dressed a roadkill moose up here a few years back and were
prosecuted for their efforts. Protected or some such.

DO NOT take any feathers from a roadkill eagle!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 06:52:48 -0700, marc rosen wrote:

Any good recommendations for getting blood- deer or others- out of
wood?

Oxalic acid bleaches,

It will lighten old oak about as much as cutting into fresh oak, but you
can reverse this with ammonia fuming.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley" wrote

Not on oak. There's always a risk of iron stain developing from the iron
in the blood, which will lead to uneven blue or black stains.

It might be pretty with the dark stains....
Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
[...]

I used to work for the American Red Cross Blood Services in Central
Maryland. On a blood spill (as mentioned in other posts) rinse with
water, cold water. Also, peroxide often helped on clothing (after damp
with water).

Dave - Parkville
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 6:21 am, David Bridgeman
wrote:
marc rosen wrote:
[...]

I second that. Had some extensive dental work done a
few years back -- bone grafts, sinus lift, in preparation
for implants. Surgeon told me to wear an old t-shirt,
since I'd never get the blood out. Cold water (won't
set the blood proteins by converting albumin into
globulin) plus peroxide (to bleach out the hemoglobin)
restored my ruined shirt to like-new condition.

An extension (pun intended) to this group.......... Jonni UK diy 7 January 3rd 06 10:32 PM
Deer antler alysonsdad Woodturning 18 December 28th 05 02:55 PM
How to remove blood and body parts ??? Eliot Coweye Home Repair 11 November 20th 05 06:02 AM
Yellow snow: Was it a deer, or . . .? Carol Home Ownership 2 February 4th 05 11:39 PM
Remove Blood From Pine Buck Turgidson Woodworking 13 September 20th 04 04:24 PM