Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default (humor intended) How to remove deer blood from oak?

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey All,
I'm heading to my butcher's shop now but last night I picked up a
small amount of oak- some rough, some planed and on the way home I
came upon a car/deer collision only seconds old. After making sure
the occupants were okay I saw that the 9 pointer was still alive but
really in bad shape. A witness to the collision (in the opposite
lane) arrived after making a u-turn and he and I restrained the deer
until I could kill it. Not wanting to waste meat we set it in the
pickup bed, trying to avoid the lumber and later I field dressed it in
my back yard. (Under lights, with running water, etc.... All the nice
things about having a hunter friendly house.)
Anyway, my future steak supply bled on some of the oak I had. I hope
it won't stain too deeply. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Any good recommendations for getting blood- deer or others- out of
wood? I already damp wiped the congealed blood from the affected
boards but there is some staining apparent.
Marc (who's wife enjoys the venison he brings home,
regardless of its source)

Peroxide will take care of the hemoglobin problem, as Kate says, though the
cells will still be there. Planing will probably do for it if you want to
skip the bleach.

You _did_ get a permit for the road kill, right? I remember a couple of
guys who dressed a roadkill moose up here a few years back and were
prosecuted for their efforts. Protected or some such.

DO NOT take any feathers from a roadkill eagle!!!!!!!