Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Default HEMP PLYWOOD BECOMES A REALITY

http://www.ratical.org/renewables/plywood.html Now, the next time the
police raid you, you can tell them you were just growing a new house.
LMAO

JOAT
If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing
again.
- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Sep 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Herman Family

Industrial hemp has very little pharmaceutical value. Except for the US
government's paranoia about it, it's actually a great fiber and can be made
into cloth, paper, mdf, etc..

Michael
"Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT" wrote in message
http://www.ratical.org/renewables/plywood.html Now, the next time the
police raid you, you can tell them you were just growing a new house.
LMAO

JOAT
If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing
again.
- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Sep 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

todd

"Herman Family" /without_any_s/ wrote in message
Industrial hemp has very little pharmaceutical value. Except for the US
government's paranoia about it, it's actually a great fiber and can be

made
into cloth, paper, mdf, etc..

Michael

We get it. JOAT was making what some people refer to as a "joke".
Webster's defines a joke as "Something not said seriously, or not actually
meant; something done in sport." I'm pretty sure JOAT (being an old geezer
and all ;-)) is aware of the properties of industrial hemp.

todd

Herman Family

I guess I missed that one. I had worked on hemp and hemp like materials for
some projects. There were serious problems with the gov't not wanting
industrial hemp running around. They couldn't tell the difference between
it and the pharmaceutical stuff, so they wouldn't permit it to be farmed.

Michael
"todd" wrote in message
"Herman Family" /without_any_s/ wrote in message
Industrial hemp has very little pharmaceutical value. Except for the US
government's paranoia about it, it's actually a great fiber and can be

made
into cloth, paper, mdf, etc..

Michael

We get it. JOAT was making what some people refer to as a "joke".
Webster's defines a joke as "Something not said seriously, or not actually
meant; something done in sport." I'm pretty sure JOAT (being an old

geezer
and all ;-)) is aware of the properties of industrial hemp.

todd

Phisherman

I read about hemp ply over 10 years ago. It is amazingly strong
stuff.

GreaseBall Italian

"todd" wrote in message ...
"Herman Family" /without_any_s/ wrote in message
Industrial hemp has very little pharmaceutical value. Except for the US
government's paranoia about it, it's actually a great fiber and can be

made
into cloth, paper, mdf, etc..

Michael

We get it. JOAT was making what some people refer to as a "joke".
Webster's defines a joke as "Something not said seriously, or not actually
meant; something done in sport." I'm pretty sure JOAT (being an old geezer
and all ;-)) is aware of the properties of industrial hemp.

todd

If you are referring to the same JOAT as I am then he is too stupid.
Fred the Red Shirt

(Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote in message ...
http://www.ratical.org/renewables/plywood.html Now, the next time the
police raid you, you can tell them you were just growing a new house.
LMAO

If your house catches fire don;t be surprised if a fireman or two
forgets his air tank...

--

FF
tastbits

Read the article. Good stuff, but I have some pertinent questions:

1) The article mentions "plywood" but is really about MDF. I
generally avoid ANY kind of particle board, including MDF, because a)
it's heavy, b) it's weak for its weight, c) it's prone to
disintegration when wetted, d) it makes too much dust, a nuisance and
a known health hazard. Is there really such a thing as hemp plywood,
a product formed of laminated veneers?

2) The article mentions hemp lumber. Do they mean something like
strandboard, the engineered lumber I see going up in all kinds of
construction now?

3) If they really can make hemp plywood, how about hemp marine ply?
Will the hemp-derived glues be water-resistant? Will hemp plywood
glued with traditional adhesives have a suitable strenght/weight ratio
for boat building?

It would be very good to see a truly renewable building resource for
everyday utilitarian use so we can save the beautiful wood for
important uses and quit cutting down the forests for less-valuable
end-uses.
Scott McAuley

Mark,
It is a popular myth that proponents of industrial hemp would like to use it
as cover for the illicit stuff. Industrial hemp is grown in tightly spaced
rows to encourage fiber and oilseed production. Drug hemp is grown widely
spaced to encourage leaf and bud production. No grower of drug hemp would
ever want his carefully bred plants cross pollinated with industrial hemp,
it would lower the THC content of the product. Hemp is a great source of
superior fibers that could replace cotton as a cash crop for many struggling
farmers. Over 50% of the pesticides used in the US are used in cotton
production. Cotton strips the land depleting the soil and contributes to
soil compaction. Hemp has far fewer natural pest and does not deplete the
soil the way cotton does. Hemp fibers are also valued for the fine
linen-like paper that can be produced. Hemp requires far fewer chemicals to
refine into paper and could potentially save our rivers and streams from
pollution. Fewer trees for paper production would mean more plentiful lumber
at lower prices. Don't take my word for it, do some research. There is a lot
of good data out there on industrial hemp.
Scott.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
s.com...
In article ,
/without_any_s/ says...
I guess I missed that one. I had worked on hemp and hemp like materials

for
some projects. There were serious problems with the gov't not wanting
industrial hemp running around. They couldn't tell the difference

between
it and the pharmaceutical stuff,

I also suspect that this is why there is so much support from the,
shall we say herbally-induced reality-challenged, for pushing hemp as an
industrial product. It provides greater cover for raising the illicit
kind.

... and please, drop the "pharmaceutical" connotation -- call it what it
really is, "pharmaceutical" simply is attempting to legitimize the
utilization of this substance for altering one's conciousness. (Don't
try the "alcohol is the same" argument either. It is not.)

so they wouldn't permit it to be farmed.

Michael

Mark & Juanita

In article ,
says...
Mark & Juanita wrote in message ws.com...
In article ,
/without_any_s/ says...
I guess I missed that one. I had worked on hemp and hemp like materials for
some projects. There were serious problems with the gov't not wanting
industrial hemp running around. They couldn't tell the difference between
it and the pharmaceutical stuff,

I also suspect that this is why there is so much support from the,
shall we say herbally-induced reality-challenged, for pushing hemp as an
industrial product. It provides greater cover for raising the illicit
kind.

... and please, drop the "pharmaceutical" connotation -- call it what it
really is, "pharmaceutical" simply is attempting to legitimize the
utilization of this substance for altering one's conciousness. (Don't
try the "alcohol is the same" argument either. It is not.)

What is this "alcohol is the same" argument you speak of? I don't
think I've heard that one yet. Are you saying that alcohol is not
consumed to alter one's consciousness?

Yes, I am saying that one can take a glass of wine, or drink a beer
and do so without altering one's conciousness. Some people drink a glass
of wine with a particular meal to enhance its flavor, not to lose touch
with reality. You cannot say that of someone partaking in smoking hemp
-- the express intent is to alter one's concious state.

If so, I wonder why there was
such an outcry among this group when some people stated they
occasionally have a drink while woodworking. I'm sure the proponents
will be glad to hear of your endorsement of drinking while woodworking
since it is not used to alter consciousness.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike

[...]

Whether or not that is their express intent, drinking a glass of wine
or beer with your meal will alter your consciousness to some degree.
Alcohol intoxication is not binary. I assume you mean it will not be
altered to a deleterious extent. If so, I agree.

You cannot say that of someone partaking in smoking hemp
-- the express intent is to alter one's concious state.

Actually, I most certainly can say that. People using cannabis
medicinally do so to relieve the symptoms of their condition.
Alteration of consciousness is a side effect. Side effects are common
in pharmaceuticals. That is why a tremendous amount of research is
conducted to identify ways to modify the chemistry of drugs to
minimize side effects. An example of that is the acetylation of
salicylic acid to make aspirin. I personally do not think cannabis
should be available by prescription because it does not comply with
the accepted regulations of drug products in the U.S.A.; i.e. all of
its components are not well-characterized and the dosage is not known.
However, there is evidence that cannabis contains compounds of
medical value and those compounds should be isolated and tested in the
same way drug products are isolated from other plant materials. But
it seems that there is a segment of society that wishes to create
roadblocks for that kind of research every step of the way.
Unfortunately, there are people who are suffering and might benefit
from new drugs; but relief will have to come from other avenues
because some people put fear or political motives ahead of reason and
human decency. Shame on them.

Cheers,
Mike

If so, I wonder why there was
such an outcry among this group when some people stated they
occasionally have a drink while woodworking. I'm sure the proponents
will be glad to hear of your endorsement of drinking while woodworking
since it is not used to alter consciousness.

Cheers,
Mike

Herman Family

You just haven't met some of the others yet. There is quite an interest
out there, but since hemp is now illegal to grow, they are fairly quiet. I
guess things have changed since the days in which the US government
subsidized hemp farmers because it was a necessary resource.

Michael
"2manytoyz" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Scott McAuley

2manytoys,
You should stop hanging out with pot-heads and do the research on hemp. It
is one of the most usefull plants known to man that could help our farmers
and the environment. Hemp is widely grown as a cash crop in Canada and
Europe.
Scott.
om...