Mike

Default HEMP PLYWOOD BECOMES A REALITY

Mark & Juanita wrote in message ws.com...
In article ,
says...
Mark & Juanita wrote in message ws.com...
In article ,
/without_any_s/ says...
I guess I missed that one. I had worked on hemp and hemp like materials for
some projects. There were serious problems with the gov't not wanting
industrial hemp running around. They couldn't tell the difference between
it and the pharmaceutical stuff,

I also suspect that this is why there is so much support from the,
shall we say herbally-induced reality-challenged, for pushing hemp as an
industrial product. It provides greater cover for raising the illicit
kind.

... and please, drop the "pharmaceutical" connotation -- call it what it
really is, "pharmaceutical" simply is attempting to legitimize the
utilization of this substance for altering one's conciousness. (Don't
try the "alcohol is the same" argument either. It is not.)

What is this "alcohol is the same" argument you speak of? I don't
think I've heard that one yet. Are you saying that alcohol is not
consumed to alter one's consciousness?

Yes, I am saying that one can take a glass of wine, or drink a beer
and do so without altering one's conciousness. Some people drink a glass
of wine with a particular meal to enhance its flavor, not to lose touch
with reality. You cannot say that of someone partaking in smoking hemp
-- the express intent is to alter one's concious state.

Whether or not that is their express intent, drinking a glass of wine
or beer with your meal will alter your consciousness to some degree.
Alcohol intoxication is not binary. I assume you mean it will not be
altered to a deleterious extent. If so, I agree.

You cannot say that of someone partaking in smoking hemp
-- the express intent is to alter one's concious state.

Actually, I most certainly can say that. People using cannabis
medicinally do so to relieve the symptoms of their condition.
Alteration of consciousness is a side effect. Side effects are common
in pharmaceuticals. That is why a tremendous amount of research is
conducted to identify ways to modify the chemistry of drugs to
minimize side effects. An example of that is the acetylation of
salicylic acid to make aspirin. I personally do not think cannabis
should be available by prescription because it does not comply with
the accepted regulations of drug products in the U.S.A.; i.e. all of
its components are not well-characterized and the dosage is not known.
However, there is evidence that cannabis contains compounds of
medical value and those compounds should be isolated and tested in the
same way drug products are isolated from other plant materials. But
it seems that there is a segment of society that wishes to create
roadblocks for that kind of research every step of the way.
Unfortunately, there are people who are suffering and might benefit
from new drugs; but relief will have to come from other avenues
because some people put fear or political motives ahead of reason and
human decency. Shame on them.

Cheers,
Mike

If so, I wonder why there was
such an outcry among this group when some people stated they
occasionally have a drink while woodworking. I'm sure the proponents
will be glad to hear of your endorsement of drinking while woodworking
since it is not used to alter consciousness.

Cheers,
Mike