Posted to rec.woodworking

Default GLOAT

I got tipped off by my son, who is a sales rep for a lumber mill, that
they where going to get rid of their "exotic" lumber. Seems that the
boss has a hard time passing up a great deal. He has 18 containers of
red oak flooring comming in and nowhere to put it. Guess he got a great
price. Any way I got to the mill nice and early this morning, and
scored bigtime. He had 4 bundles of wood for sale at $200 a bundle. I
got the biggest one. turns out there was about 500 board feet of
various type of wood. Cocobolo, Birdseye Maple,
Birch, Mahagony, Walnut, Bubinga,Canarywood,Ipe, and a couple of others
I havn't figured out yet. Nothing under 7'. Some of the best stuff was
12 footers. About 15 8/4 and rest 4/4. All S2S. Needless to say I'm a
happy camper. Unfortunatly(or fortunatly some) I'm just starting to
learn about woodworking, so some of this will be resold. I'd post some
pictures, but the last time I did, I got nothing but flack about the
format,or some crap, that some people couldn't see them. So take a look
at www.flickr.com/photos/vidkid26/
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Vidkid26" video city@my video.com wrote in message
I'd post some pictures, but the last time I did, I got nothing but flack
about the format,or some crap, that some people couldn't see them. So take
a look at www.flickr.com/photos/vidkid26/

Nice haul !

If you post pictures, just keep the size modest (about 100 to 150K) and use
a JPG format that anyone can open, not yEnc that most of us cannot open
easily.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vidkid26 wrote:

[...]

Now thats a nice gloat!!

I have a wood rack that needs some replenishing, send some my way!!
Should give you hours of enjoyment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Vidkid26" wrote in message

I havn't figured out yet. Nothing under 7'. Some of the best stuff was 12
footers. About 15 8/4 and rest 4/4. All S2S. Needless to say I'm a happy
camper.

You hereby sucketh to the maximus, bubba!

Congratulations and thanks for registering your gloat.

Be advised that while registered gloats have their privileges, they also
have their responsibilities, and it is our duty to inform you that you must
now pay particular attention to the requirements enumerated below:

Do NOT remove under penalty of law

You must fully understand that by posting this GLOAT with capital letters
you are henceforth prohibited from any future sale of same. It is also your
responsibility to insure that SWMBO, her heirs and assigns, understand this
requirement completely and that they are bound by same in perpetuity.

As a classified, registered, suck worthy, fair dinkum GLOAT, should you,
your heirs or assigns, decide to dispose of said GLOAT, or any portion
thereof, by sale, you shall be required to send JOAT one e-mail receipt for
_each_ dollar value of said sale, along with the usual 50% cabal tax ...
trust us, you don't wanna do that.

Some of these requirements may be modified by posting pictures of projects
made from material contained in said GLOAT on ABPW, with the exception that
those pieces made in the style known as "Mission", or "Arts and Crafts", are
hereby prohibited and do NOT qualify under the mitigating and extenuating
provisions hereof.)

Now, should you want to give/gift some away hereabouts, strictly for health
reasons, we'll understand.

Enjoy your GLOAT!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ike Ike is offline

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:41:53 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Vidkid26" video city@my video.com wrote in message
I'd post some pictures, but the last time I did, I got nothing but flack
about the format,or some crap, that some people couldn't see them. So take
a look at www.flickr.com/photos/vidkid26/

Nice haul !

If you post pictures, just keep the size modest (about 100 to 150K) and use
a JPG format that anyone can open, not yEnc that most of us cannot open
easily.

Off topic:
FYI, yEnc is a compression format for any type of binary file and is
exclusive to Usenet. JPG is an image format that is compressed. A JPG
image can be uploaded and downloaded faster when using yEnc
compression. They are two completely different animals. It is your
Outlook Express that is the problem. Imagine everyone requesting
images be uploaded as BMP files (which are uncompressed and huge by
comparison) just because they do not have a viewer that can open a JPG
file. Embrace technology, don't try to make others conform to your old
software.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ike wrote:

| FYI, yEnc is a compression format for any type of binary file and is
| exclusive to Usenet. JPG is an image format that is compressed. A
| JPG image can be uploaded and downloaded faster when using yEnc
| compression. They are two completely different animals. It is your
| Outlook Express that is the problem. Imagine everyone requesting
| images be uploaded as BMP files (which are uncompressed and huge by
| comparison) just because they do not have a viewer that can open a
| JPG file. Embrace technology, don't try to make others conform to
| your old software.

FYI, this has been discussed before (several times). Typically the
yEnc advocate has been a script kiddy browser elitist who seemed to
feel that the technology used was more important than the
communication.

Personally, I embrace technology whole-heartedly and just love Mosaic!

vbg

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ike Ike is offline

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:06:04 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Ike wrote:

| FYI, yEnc is a compression format for any type of binary file and is
| exclusive to Usenet. JPG is an image format that is compressed. A
| JPG image can be uploaded and downloaded faster when using yEnc
| compression. They are two completely different animals. It is your
| Outlook Express that is the problem. Imagine everyone requesting
| images be uploaded as BMP files (which are uncompressed and huge by
| comparison) just because they do not have a viewer that can open a
| JPG file. Embrace technology, don't try to make others conform to
| your old software.

FYI, this has been discussed before (several times). Typically the
yEnc advocate has been a script kiddy browser elitist who seemed to
feel that the technology used was more important than the
communication.

Okay, then I will try to communcate more clearly.

See Dick. See Dick post. Post, post, post. See all the huge posts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Too bad you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

'yEnc' is _not_ a 'compression' format -- in fact, "by definition", a
yEncode-processed binary file *never* smaller than the 'original', and
is usually _larger_ than the original. I guess you _could _call it "
'compression format' with NEGATIVE efficiency".

'yEnc' is _not_ a defined standard, unlike MIME 'base64' which _does_ have
an international standard specification.

yEnc-encoded files are _useless_ if there is *any* server _anywhere_ in the
path between sender and recipient which is not '8-bit clean'. There is *NO*
*guarantee* that all servers _are_ 8-bit clean.

The _only_ thing 'yEnc' has going for it is that it is "less inefficient'
than other methods -- methods that WORK RELIABLY in situations where yEnc
fails catastrophically.

There are trade-offs between the 'efficiency' of an encoding method, and
it's 'robustness' in the face of communications 'obstacles'.

yEnc accomplishes it's 'less inefficient' strategy by simply 'ignoring' all
the 'corner cases' where it's _assumptions_ are false to fact.

yEnc is 'ok' for those who "don't care" about reaching those on the 'fringes',
"don't care" whether or not their picture is 'universally viewable', and think
that *their* attitude is more important than the people who might want to
look at their image.

For those _without_ an ego-trip attitude, using a UNIVERSALLY SUPPORTED
_standard_ encoding scheme _is_ a better idea. And the fact is that
supporting JPG (and GIF) is a _required_ part of the MIME standards.

If you use any standards-compliant "Mail and News" software, it is _guaranteed_
that that software supports 'base-64' encoded JPG files. The same cannot
be said for BMP files, nor _anything_ that is 'yEnc' encoded.