Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ooohhh....shiny. Is the Festool Domino right for me?

"Swingman" wrote in message

You're right ... but strange things happen, and it would likely be someone
who used the M-R strictly for mortising. Even then I think it would be
hard
to give up the variable/increased mortise depth and size.

I'm a BIG fan of the Domino, but, like it's first cousin the biscuit
jointer, it's plainly a one-trick-pony ... although one hell of a useful
trick.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Absolutely. Fortunately for the Domino that useful trick is very useful in
that it enables one to quickly and easily use the type joint that he should
be using in the first place rather than a joint reinforced by a biscuit or
pocket hole screw. That said, biscuits and pocket holes do have their
place, but they are also probably too convenient and are often used where a
M&T should be used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bas wrote:

(1) Given that I'm pretty much a complete beginner (Look what I made
tonight honey! Sawdust!), will I get enough value out of this tool?

Can't answer this one, I don't own a Domino. Given the price, I
probably won't own one for a long time.

(3) Non-domino owners: If your biscuit joiner and mortising tools (MR,
drill press etc.) broke tomorrow, would you be more inclined to get a
Domino instead?

Not likely. Given the price of the Domino, I could buy a new drill
press, biscuit joiner and hollow chisel mortising machine and still
not come close to spending what it would take to buy a Domino. I
don't currently own a biscuit joiner, but have been contemplating
getting one. When I need to do glue ups that benefit from having
something to align the pieces, I use dowels. A doweling jig is
relatively inexpensive as are the dowels.

But I _want_ the Domino, I just need some people to tell me it's the
right thing to do.

It's your money and if you've got enough of it--go for it.

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

The only person "showing his ass" round here is you, but thanks for
confirming your intelligence level for all and sundry.

John E.

"Swingman" wrote in message
"John E." wrote in message ...

The original poster was talking about the price of the TOOL dropping in
price, not the price of the products made with the tool. I only brought
that
part up to illustrate my accurate analogy. Sorry you missed the point.

And for good reason ... your diatribe was "pointless" and uninformative,
except that it showed your ass.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John E." wrote in message
The only person "showing his ass" round here is you, but thanks for
confirming your intelligence level for all and sundry.

LOL! Further confirming what we knew all along ... the most correct
"analogy" as being my ass, and _your_ "intelligence level".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:19:14 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Well, probably not. I strongly suspect that there is a pantent on the
Domino. The Fein Multimaster has not had any real competition until
relatively reccently when their patent expired. I have never seen any
Festool prices drop and because they have a strict priving policy you
probably will not see a drop in price. And like the Lamelllo plate joiner
the Domino will probably remain at higher prices even after the patent runs
out, if there is one.

assume you meant " strict pricing policy"

The Domino is around the equivalent of USD 1050 in the UK, a quick
google shows those lucky, lucky *******s in the US are paying around
USD 700.

So it's not that strict a pricing policy

Festool dealers offer next to bugger all discount on list price in
the UK, about the equivalent of USD 60.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
: "John E." wrote in message
: The only person "showing his ass" round here is you, but thanks for
: confirming your intelligence level for all and sundry.

: LOL! Further confirming what we knew all along ... the most correct
: "analogy" as being my ass, and _your_ "intelligence level".

And once again, ladies and gentlemen, "Swingman" shows us all the
meaning of pure class.

Bleccchhhh.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

And once again, ladies and gentlemen, "Swingman" shows us all the
meaning of pure class.

Bleccchhhh.

LOL ... STILL speaking with that public tit in your mouth, eh Andrew? Shame
on you for wasting the tax payer's money on such drivel.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

LOL ... STILL speaking with that public tit in your mouth, eh Andrew? Shame
on you for wasting the tax payer's money on such drivel.

Enough already. Plonk.

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000757-3, 07/17/2007
Tested on: 7/18/2007 2:08:07 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

LOL ... STILL speaking with that public tit in your mouth, eh Andrew?
Shame
on you for wasting the tax payer's money on such drivel.

Enough already. Plonk.

Bill, you might want to unplonk. Sometimes we get caught up in a ****ing
contest, even the best of us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:19:14 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

And once again, ladies and gentlemen, "Swingman" shows us all the
meaning of pure class.

Bleccchhhh.

LOL ... STILL speaking with that public tit in your mouth, eh Andrew? Shame
on you for wasting the tax payer's money on such drivel.

Ok, Kids... Go to your rooms for a time out... *eg*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 4:30 pm, Bas wrote:
he wants a Domino.

Buy the damned thing already. We all know you're going to anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy"
wrote in message

On Jul 12, 4:30 pm, Bas wrote:
he wants a Domino.

Buy the damned thing already. We all know you're going to anyway.

We missed you, buddy ... we were getting worried and glad to see you back!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

"Robatoy"
wrote in message

On Jul 12, 4:30 pm, Bas wrote:
he wants a Domino.

Buy the damned thing already. We all know you're going to anyway.

We missed you, buddy ... we were getting worried and glad to see you back!

I'm some godawfulfrickinbusy these days.
I truly miss this place.
The free exchange of ideas and advice is so cool. ( Was gonna say
TITS...but I don't wanna give the wrong impression.)

PS... was watching Canadian Idol....*hangs head in shame*
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Bill, you might want to unplonk. Sometimes we get caught up in a ****ing
contest, even the best of us.

Done.

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000757-4, 07/18/2007
Tested on: 7/18/2007 10:59:37 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

PS... was watching Canadian Idol....*hangs head in shame*

Yeah, they sing with that funny accent. Unlike us'ns down her in Texas.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
: Enough already. Plonk.
:

: Bill, you might want to unplonk. Sometimes we get caught up in a ****ing
: contest, even the best of us.

Problem is, Karl is pretty incontinent, and seems to get a juvenile
pleasure out of it.

-- Andy