Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default Ooohhh....shiny. Is the Festool Domino right for me?

Bas wrote:

(1) Given that I'm pretty much a complete beginner (Look what I made
tonight honey! Sawdust!), will I get enough value out of this tool?

Can't answer this one, I don't own a Domino. Given the price, I
probably won't own one for a long time.

(3) Non-domino owners: If your biscuit joiner and mortising tools (MR,
drill press etc.) broke tomorrow, would you be more inclined to get a
Domino instead?

Not likely. Given the price of the Domino, I could buy a new drill
press, biscuit joiner and hollow chisel mortising machine and still
not come close to spending what it would take to buy a Domino. I
don't currently own a biscuit joiner, but have been contemplating
getting one. When I need to do glue ups that benefit from having
something to align the pieces, I use dowels. A doweling jig is
relatively inexpensive as are the dowels.

But I _want_ the Domino, I just need some people to tell me it's the
right thing to do.

It's your money and if you've got enough of it--go for it.

remove ".invalid".