Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New circular saw help....

Looking to purchase a new circular saw (my cheap Skil just aint cuttin
it anymore, want to relegate it to concrete/masonry only).

Im not a pro, just a DIY-er. I was looking at a left blade Milwaukee
because Ive heard its a good deal for value, performance, weight,
etc. I played with a Bosch 1677MD at Lowes today, and Im rethinking
my Milwaukee decision. Granted it is heavier, but with the second
handle it seemed a lot easier to lug around, line up, etc.

So I guess Im asking if there are any non-pros out there that felt a
heavier worm drive worked out better than a sidewinder. I was
thinking the sidewinder as more of a "multi purpose" saw, and the worm
drive as more of a framing/construction saw, but Im not so sure after
holding one vs a sidewinder. I do some panel cutting for projects,
but mostly it would be used for decking, 2x4s here and there, etc
(i.e. Im not building a house or an addition ).

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have a left blade Milwaukee. I made a cutting guide for it and use it
extensively for cutting panels. Works great.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 6:55 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Chris,
Before you buy a worm-drive saw, find a way to use one (any make) to
actually cut a board. The start-up torque of a worm drive causes it
to twist in your hand in a way that I find very disconcerting. I used
one for a few cuts and was glad to get back to the familiar feel of a
sidewinder. Maybe it was all because I always used sidewinders
before. I know that worm-drives have many devoted fans, but I think a
do-it-yourselfer will find any of the pro-quality sidewinders to be
quite adequate.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, they
are not."

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

[...]

I think worms are great, the next one I buy will be a worm. but I make
money in construction (trim carpentry mostly) and I find it easier to use
than a side. Another consideration is cost, worms cost more and you have
to decide if the extra cost is worth it. The biggest advantage to a side
as I see it is it is usually shorter and can allow you to work in tighter
spots. And you may not like the worm (some don't), if you don't you'll
regret the extra you spent.

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 7:55 pm, " wrote:
[...]

If you're a righty, and you decide on a sidewinder, I suggest you
stick to your original idea of getting a left-blade saw. I have a PC
left blade and it's real nice to be able to see the cut line without
leaning over the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris,
I have used both. It's kind of like comparing a framing hammer
to a plain nail knocker. The worm gear is a much heavier unit. But it's
additional torque can come in handy with green decking woods. With the right
blade it will plough through lumber all day long... However as stated above
it become the boxer at the formal dance. I rely on my PC sidewinder for
about 85% of my cuts. To make you purchase worth while, get the right blade
for the task. Good luck

Paul

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the LH Porter Cable and a RH Makita sidewinder. Both are 15 amp
professional-grade saws.

The LH PC tends to throw more wood chips toward my face, so eye/face
protection is a must, but it is easier to see the cutline. The RH
Makita is arranged such that I can see where the blade is following
the chalk line and it is a very smooth saw.

I cut 3/4" treated plywood regularly with both and they do just fine.
When I use a saw guide or shoot board, the accuracy is incredible.

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:55:35 -0000, "
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 7:55 pm, " wrote:

"cheap Skil just aint cuttin"

Not sure why you are deciding t trsh the skill saw - you didn't
explain.

I've gotten by (built decks, re-built entire houses, etc) with
whatever"skill" saw I had around.

Never one to send big bucks if there was an alternative. Have an old
Craftsman or two annd one with a nice thick aluminum base plate.

Bought a reconditioned Craftsman worm drive ten years ago - love the
extra power an weight when cutting two by decking and such.

Best advice I've seen here is the "pick the right blade(s)" (and keep
them sharp) for the job at hand. There are some very nice thin kerf
carbide blades out.

Nothing makes a sick Skill happier than a brand new thin kerf carbide
blade.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Since you are upgrading I strongly suggest you tale a look at the Festool
Circle saw. It really produces table saw quality cuts and comes with a
straight edge that requires no clamps to make straight cuts. A bit pricey
but you may end up kicking your self if you do not look at it before buying.

Keep in mind also that while a left blade enables you to see the cutting
line if holding the saw with your right hand, the left blade is intended for
a left handed user. The right hand is intended for a right handed user. If
you can see the blade while sawing you will also see the splinters coming
back at you . The Festool eliminates the need to look at the blade to cut a
precisely placed straight line. Used with a vacuum you can saw inside your
house and not have any clean up.

www.festoolusa.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:07:42 -0700, DonkeyHody
wrote:

On Jul 8, 6:55 pm, " wrote:
[...]

The only people (as in a defined group) I have seen using a worm drive
were form setters. I was told all their cuts were below waist/downhill
and the weight/power of the saw increased the speed of the cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Jul, 16:47, "Leon" wrote:
Since you are upgrading I strongly suggest you tale a look at the Festool
Circle saw. It really produces table saw quality cuts and comes with a
straight edge that requires no clamps to make straight cuts. A bit pricey
but you may end up kicking your self if you do not look at it before buying.

Keep in mind also that while a left blade enables you to see the cutting
line if holding the saw with your right hand, the left blade is intended for
a left handed user. The right hand is intended for a right handed user. If
you can see the blade while sawing you will also see the splinters coming
back at you . The Festool eliminates the need to look at the blade to cut a
precisely placed straight line. Used with a vacuum you can saw inside your
house and not have any clean up.

www.festoolusa.com

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

-Chris- Hide quoted text -

-If you can see the blade while sawing you will also see the
splinters coming back at you .

The LH PC has a dust chute that plugs into the top of the saw so you
can direct the splinters towards your workmate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...

The LH PC has a dust chute that plugs into the top of the saw so you
can direct the splinters towards your workmate.

Yes many saws have this feature to divert the majority of debris away
however more than a comfortable amount still comes up in your face.