LRod

On 2 Apr 2005 02:46:47 -0800, "Tattooed and Dusty"
wrote:

So I am thinking of buying a second circular saw. I have a Mag77 that I
bought used and have used primarily for construction type projects.
When I attempt to use it for finer cuts I am usually disappointed, it's
heavy the guide rail isn't parallel to the blade etc. So I am thinking
of buying a second.

The primary use will be for sheet goods and the occasional glue up that
is too big for the table saw. I like using the table saw mainly for
rips, and joints not a big fan of using it for sheet goods.

Take a look at the Porter-Cable 314 Trim Saw. It's a 4" blade, worm
drive, right cut saw that's perfect for sheet goods and plenty high
quality.

Also, for another perspective, take a look at the Porter-Cable 345
SawBoss. It's a 6" blade, left cut, traditional sidewinder design.
It's also light and with the left blade will be easy for you to adapt
to with your worm drive experience. The 6" blade is big enough to cut
framing materials, too.

I have both, and love them both.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Tattooed and Dusty

Default Circular Saw Help

Hello All,

So I am thinking of buying a second circular saw. I have a Mag77 that I
bought used and have used primarily for construction type projects.
When I attempt to use it for finer cuts I am usually disappointed, it's
heavy the guide rail isn't parallel to the blade etc. So I am thinking
of buying a second.

The primary use will be for sheet goods and the occasional glue up that
is too big for the table saw. I like using the table saw mainly for
rips, and joints not a big fan of using it for sheet goods.

So I have narrowed the field down somewhat. I am mostly looking at
something light and highish quality like the Bosch CS20. Normal size
circ saw, lighter weight, simple, hopefully square and the like. Run
about 150 or so.

Or the Festool ATF55E. MUCH higher quality. Weight is up some, but
still less than the Mag77. Comes with really nice guide rails. Claims
to have accurate ability to set angle for mitred cuts. Cost 400. or 500
for slightly bigger blade.

So I like the idea of the festool, but am having a hard time justifying
the expense increase. I support myself doing custom woodworking, so at
some level the expense will be covered in a single job, but at the same
time I would rather use the money for some other stuff, since I end up
needing this solution infrequently.

Jim

Before reading LRod's reply, I went looking for the Porter Cable trim
saw too. Here is one link to it:
http://store.yahoo.com/dajo/porcab412tri.html
4.5 Amp, AC/DC; 4,500 RPM; Rugged worm gear drive; 100% ball & needle
bearings; Cuts 1-5/16" at 90 degrees & 1-1/16" at 45
It has a full body shoe & I'll agree that it's perfect for sheet goods.
A guy I worked for had one & I liked it.

Jim

Bernie Hunt

If your a pro and will use it regularly, the Festool is the way to go. I
borrowed on for a job making raised panel wainscoting for a buddy's house.
With the rail set up it was fast and accurate and the cut quality was great!

I have the earlier version of the left cut PC MAG-SAW;
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4942

Its fairly light, and the shoe is straight. I switched to a good quality
carbide blade and I get great cuts. I'm using a Ridge Carbide blade.

The choice for me is how much I use it. If I used my saw every week, then
the extra cost of the Festool would be easily justified.

Bernie

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All,

[...]

loutent

Ditto what LRod said. I have the Saw Boss with a
plywood blade and use it almost exclusively for
ripping down sheet goods.

Together with a couple of saw boards I made for it, I can
build cabinet boxes without using the table saw if I
wanted to.

Lou

In article . com, Jim
wrote:

Before reading LRod's reply, I went looking for the Porter Cable trim
saw too. Here is one link to it:
http://store.yahoo.com/dajo/porcab412tri.html
4.5 Amp, AC/DC; 4,500 RPM; Rugged worm gear drive; 100% ball & needle
bearings; Cuts 1-5/16" at 90 degrees & 1-1/16" at 45
It has a full body shoe & I'll agree that it's perfect for sheet goods.
A guy I worked for had one & I liked it.

Jim

Lew Hodgett

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

So I am thinking of buying a second circular saw. I have a Mag77 that I
bought used and have used primarily for construction type projects.
When I attempt to use it for finer cuts I am usually disappointed, it's
heavy the guide rail isn't parallel to the blade etc. So I am thinking
of buying a second.

The primary use will be for sheet goods and the occasional glue up that
is too big for the table saw. I like using the table saw mainly for
rips, and joints not a big fan of using it for sheet goods.

SNIP

Think battery operated.

I have an 18 VDC DeWalt, it works for me, but there are others.

I backed into the battery operated unit quite by accident, was looking
for a drill.

It has been a most pleasant surprise.

Add a 2x2x1/8x96 aluminum angle, a couple of 3" C-Clamps and a sheet of
foam and you are all set to cut up sheet goods for a long time.

HTH

Lew
LRod

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:28:24 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

I backed into the battery operated unit quite by accident,

Ouch.

...was looking for a drill.

I'll bet you got one.

It has been a most pleasant surprise.

Yikes! I didn't want to hear that...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Unquestionably Confused

wrote:

So I am thinking of buying a second circular saw. I have a Mag77 that I
bought used and have used primarily for construction type projects.
When I attempt to use it for finer cuts I am usually disappointed, it's
heavy the guide rail isn't parallel to the blade etc. So I am thinking
of buying a second.

The primary use will be for sheet goods and the occasional glue up that
is too big for the table saw. I like using the table saw mainly for
rips, and joints not a big fan of using it for sheet goods.

Take a look at the Porter-Cable 314 Trim Saw. It's a 4" blade, worm
drive, right cut saw that's perfect for sheet goods and plenty high
quality.

Already had the Makita 9.6 volt panel(?)saw which is a very handy little
devil for opening wall, ceilings or any other overhead work. However,
it's for drywall or thin panel use ONLY. Not much muscle or stamina for
anything else. Wanted something better than this but less than a
Skilsaw which I already have.

Stopped at one of the Cash Converter's (They buy your unwanted toys,
computers, tools, etc.) and resell. Mostly crap but, like a garage
sale, you CAN find good deals.

Today's gloat is the PC 314 Trim saw - BRAND NEW - complete with all
standard parts, accessories, manual, in the sealed bag.

$90 out the door. Not too shabby for a very nice saw (3/4 hp) 4½" saw
that will run you $200 or better street price through the regular channels.

I like it. Will be very handy for cutting up 4x8 sheet goods set up on
saw horses, etc. due to the weight to power ratio.
gandalf

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in message
oups.com...
(snip)

Or the Festool ATF55E. MUCH higher quality. Weight is up some, but
still less than the Mag77. Comes with really nice guide rails. Claims
to have accurate ability to set angle for mitred cuts. Cost 400. or 500
for slightly bigger blade.

So I like the idea of the festool, but am having a hard time justifying
the expense increase. I support myself doing custom woodworking, so at
some level the expense will be covered in a single job, but at the same
time I would rather use the money for some other stuff, since I end up
needing this solution infrequently.

--------------
The ATF55E has been superceded by the TS 55 EQB-Plus-FS, in Europe anyway.
You might want to try and get that. It does all the ATF does and then some.
I've got one, can't justify it financially because I'm just a hobbiest, but
without it my confidence to attack large sheets would go way down. These
babies are a dream.

As regards getting the bigger bladed version (TS 65) there is a drawback in
that for some reason it doesn't have the splinter guard, on the plus side
you can cut through 3 sheets of 3/4 at one go - with the TS 55 on the rail
you can only do 2, with zero splinters either side of the cut - top or
bottom. I'm more than happy with the TS 55. Even my wife has got used to it
as it lives in my office sat on top of a Festool vacuum - can't leave this
stuff in a draughty garage can I...?

Prometheus

wrote:

So I have narrowed the field down somewhat. I am mostly looking at
something light and highish quality like the Bosch CS20. Normal size
circ saw, lighter weight, simple, hopefully square and the like. Run
about 150 or so.

I like the DeWalt I got four or five years ago- it was $159 then, and
has never let me down. Good weight, very nice ergonomic deign, rips
well with the optional rip fence attachment, and has plenty of power
for anything I've used it for.

Of course, there are two useful upgrades for any circular saw-
attaching a "zero clearance" plate to the base (not quite like a TS
insert, which is why it is in quotes- you need to leave the back side
open for the blade guard) and using best blade you can find. Doing
these two things, you *might* find that a second saw is unnecessary.
If find you do need a second one anyhow- I give the DeWalt high marks.

Or the Festool ATF55E. MUCH higher quality. Weight is up some, but
still less than the Mag77. Comes with really nice guide rails. Claims
to have accurate ability to set angle for mitred cuts. Cost 400. or 500
for slightly bigger blade.

Seems excessive for a circular saw, but then again, I've never used
one. For that price, you could build a couple of panel cutters.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Circular Saw Choice Wanker Woodworking 13 August 12th 04 10:02 PM
Battery circular saws PoP UK diy 23 February 19th 04 10:03 PM
Circular saw and blade recommendations Paul Woodworking 16 November 17th 03 04:41 PM
Cutting Cabinet Plywood with 7 ¼ Circular Saw RWM Woodworking 14 November 10th 03 03:07 PM
circular saw into table saw? WhiteMoth Woodworking 12 August 14th 03 12:07 AM