Wanker

Default Circular Saw Choice

Having limited (very) experience in this arena,,,,,, I am looking for a good
circular saw.

The product distributed by the local channels leaves me a bit disappointed.

The first thing I do when I inspect a table saw or circular saw is wobble
the blade back and forth to check run out.

It seems the specs on these are rather "loose".

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

thanks,

Wanka

B a r r y

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:05:15 -0400, "******"
wrote:

Having limited (very) experience in this arena,,,,,, I am looking for a good
circular saw.

I _LIKE_ the new Bosch. This is the model with the composite base
plate, direct connect cord, and metal hanger.

I don't own one, but was recently fingering one at the local tool
pusher, and it would probably be the saw I'd buy today.

Other than that, Porter Cable makes a decent saw, and you get to
choose which side the blade is on.

Barry
Steve Knight

I really like the porter cable sawboss. it only has a 6.5" blade (keep
forgetting) but it cuts very clean and very fast. and it is nice and accurate.
though it is not cheap.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Mike Marlow

"******" wrote in message
Having limited (very) experience in this arena,,,,,, I am looking for a

good
circular saw.

The product distributed by the local channels leaves me a bit

disappointed.

The first thing I do when I inspect a table saw or circular saw is wobble
the blade back and forth to check run out.

It seems the specs on these are rather "loose".

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

Hmmmmm... I don't know how you determine run out by wobbling the blade back
and forth. If you can wobble it then it's not tight and I can't think of
any saw - even the cheapest junk out there, that would not secure a blade
tightly. Having said that, you really can't go wrong with any of the major
names - DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable. Many would recommend Makita, but
I'm just not a Makita fan, so I'll leave it to one of the many to make that
recommendation.
--

-Mike-

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:59:07 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"******" wrote in message
[...]

yeah... that's not runout, it's endplay or bearing slop. neither of
those are things you want in a saw....

Leon

You probably want to look for the "brand" that "is not" sold at K-Mart or
Walmart.

My next one will probably be Porter Cable, maybe Milwaukee.

Buck Turgidson

Having limited (very) experience in this arena,,,,,, I am looking for a
good
circular saw.

The product distributed by the local channels leaves me a bit

disappointed.

The first thing I do when I inspect a table saw or circular saw is wobble
the blade back and forth to check run out.

It seems the specs on these are rather "loose".

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

You also want to think about whether you want a left-hand or right-hand saw.
PC and Milwaukee make R/L hand versions of their saws. If you're
right-handed, and LH saw might make it easier to see the blade and cut.

Tom Kendrick

PC left-hand-side blade is what I use. There is now a magnesium
version which is lighter. I do have/use an old Ryobi which just won't
die, as well.
Brikp

I have the Porter Cable saw that is mentioned in other posts. It works
great. I then got a Bosch worm drive, top handle, saw because everyone needs
two circ saws! I wouldn't recommend the worm drive for everyone, its heavy,
blades are "backwards" and need to support the diamond knockout. I keep the
PC saw at my summer cabin so I don't truck a saw with me when I go. A friend
has an older Hitachi that is light and accurate that he really likes. It
seems to have a bigger base.
-B
"******" wrote in message
Having limited (very) experience in this arena,,,,,, I am looking for a

good
circular saw.

The product distributed by the local channels leaves me a bit

disappointed.

The first thing I do when I inspect a table saw or circular saw is wobble
the blade back and forth to check run out.

It seems the specs on these are rather "loose".

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

thanks,

Wanka

Leon

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Snip

If you're right-handed, and LH saw might make it easier to see the blade

and cut.

Maybe, if you are right handed and use the LH model you may end up with a
lot of debris in your face. For safetys sake use a RH if you are a Right
handed person . LH if you are a Left handed person. You really should not
be able to see the side of the blade while cutting.

Todd

I just bought one of those SEARS circular saw's with the laser guide
that's built in.(Have wanted to get one for a while now) After making
a couple of cuts (freehand) I am really happy with my choice, that
laser really shows if you go off your cut line.

Although I can't say how long the saw is going to last, it is
somewhat heavy which to me makes it well built. ( In the days of
plastic parts heavy is better )Plus lots of copper windings in a well
built motor make it really heavy.

Good luck with your choice, I am quite happy with mine and it only
cost me $99 canadian.

Todd
Noons

"******" wrote in message news:MBcSc.2394$73.180@lakeread04...
It seems the specs on these are rather "loose".

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

Cripes! Loose?.....

Anyways, my choice a while ago was the old B&D Sawcat.
It's now sold as a DeWalt model. Excellent saw for the $$$.
If I had to do it again, I'd go for either a Hitachi C9,
a Makita 5901B/5902B or the new Australian Triton 9" saw.
All are absolutely superb.
Wolf Lahti

Milwaukee makes good saws - except for the one that uses an "elevator"
depth adjustment. (I don't remember the model number offhand, though
it's the one I [wish I hadn't] bought.) The saw goes straight up/down
rather than being hinged at the back the way most depth adjustment is
handled.

Stay away from it. The saw cuts smooth as glass, but getting the depth
right is a royal PITA. :P
Dave Balderstone

In article MBcSc.2394$73.180@lakeread04, ******
wrote:

What brands have tighter tolerances for these two products.

I love my Milwaukee.

djb

Battery circular saws PoP UK diy 23 February 19th 04 10:03 PM
Choice of dovetail jig Rick UK diy 15 November 8th 03 02:58 PM
circular saw into table saw? WhiteMoth Woodworking 12 August 14th 03 12:07 AM