Posted to rec.woodworking
r payne r payne is offline

Default New circular saw help....

" wrote:

Looking to purchase a new circular saw (my cheap Skil just aint cuttin
it anymore, want to relegate it to concrete/masonry only).

Im not a pro, just a DIY-er. I was looking at a left blade Milwaukee
because Ive heard its a good deal for value, performance, weight,
etc. I played with a Bosch 1677MD at Lowes today, and Im rethinking
my Milwaukee decision. Granted it is heavier, but with the second
handle it seemed a lot easier to lug around, line up, etc.

So I guess Im asking if there are any non-pros out there that felt a
heavier worm drive worked out better than a sidewinder. I was
thinking the sidewinder as more of a "multi purpose" saw, and the worm
drive as more of a framing/construction saw, but Im not so sure after
holding one vs a sidewinder. I do some panel cutting for projects,
but mostly it would be used for decking, 2x4s here and there, etc
(i.e. Im not building a house or an addition ).

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

I think worms are great, the next one I buy will be a worm. but I make
money in construction (trim carpentry mostly) and I find it easier to use
than a side. Another consideration is cost, worms cost more and you have
to decide if the extra cost is worth it. The biggest advantage to a side
as I see it is it is usually shorter and can allow you to work in tighter
spots. And you may not like the worm (some don't), if you don't you'll
regret the extra you spent.

ron