Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default New circular saw help....

On Jul 8, 6:55 pm, " wrote:
Looking to purchase a new circular saw (my cheap Skil just aint cuttin
it anymore, want to relegate it to concrete/masonry only).

Im not a pro, just a DIY-er. I was looking at a left blade Milwaukee
because Ive heard its a good deal for value, performance, weight,
etc. I played with a Bosch 1677MD at Lowes today, and Im rethinking
my Milwaukee decision. Granted it is heavier, but with the second
handle it seemed a lot easier to lug around, line up, etc.

So I guess Im asking if there are any non-pros out there that felt a
heavier worm drive worked out better than a sidewinder. I was
thinking the sidewinder as more of a "multi purpose" saw, and the worm
drive as more of a framing/construction saw, but Im not so sure after
holding one vs a sidewinder. I do some panel cutting for projects,
but mostly it would be used for decking, 2x4s here and there, etc
(i.e. Im not building a house or an addition ).

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Chris,
Before you buy a worm-drive saw, find a way to use one (any make) to
actually cut a board. The start-up torque of a worm drive causes it
to twist in your hand in a way that I find very disconcerting. I used
one for a few cuts and was glad to get back to the familiar feel of a
sidewinder. Maybe it was all because I always used sidewinders
before. I know that worm-drives have many devoted fans, but I think a
do-it-yourselfer will find any of the pro-quality sidewinders to be
quite adequate.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, they
are not."