Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Splitting Question

Hi all,
For a project I am working on I need to split a length of pvc pipe in
half lengthwise. Any suggestions?
Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article G0bki.468$Y_3.161@trnddc04, MarkS wrote:
Hi all,
For a project I am working on I need to split a length of pvc pipe in
half lengthwise. Any suggestions?

Bandsaw.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 3:36 pm, MarkS wrote:
Hi all,
For a project I am working on I need to split a length of pvc pipe in
half lengthwise. Any suggestions?
Mark

Jigsaw. Handsaw. Cut _two_ lengths of pipe a bit heavy of the
line, then shave them to the line with a block plane. No block
plane,
then tape a piece of 120 grit to a flat surface and lap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MarkS wrote:
Hi all,
For a project I am working on I need to split a length of pvc pipe in
half lengthwise. Any suggestions?
Mark

Add this to the other suggestions, not necessarily in replacement of them.

Make up a v-block or seven to hold the pipe in line with the fence and
rip away with a table saw.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000754-5, 07/08/2007
Tested on: 7/8/2007 10:37:22 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 3:36 pm, MarkS wrote:

"split a length of pvc pipe"

Can you surround it with flat boards and run it through your TS or BS?

Didn't say the diameter, but if 1/2" or 3/4" you could possibly hold
it with a board on either side (cut a "v" in each board edge, apply a
little glue and clamp. THen cut in half and pull the pvc off the wood
support block. Or, forget the glue and use the boards as a jig to hold
the pipe before the blade and push it through using th blade to keep
it from twisting as you push it though the saw.

Nevah done it myself, just spit ballin here

Hi all,
For a project I am working on I need to split a length of pvc pipe in
half lengthwise. Any suggestions?
Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi writes:

On Jul 8, 3:36 pm, MarkS wrote:

"split a length of pvc pipe"

Can you surround it with flat boards and run it through your TS or BS?

You can cut a V groove down the length of the board to hold the pipe
more securely.

If you don't want to cut up the entire board, just cut some V-blocks
on a 2x4, and fasten them to a straight board with nails/screws/glue.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

^
| put pipe in middle, and clamp with strapping tape.
Then cut with a table saw/bandsaw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

It would be important to tell us what diameter of pipe and what
length you need. Be aware, cutting one side of large diameter
pipe can be very dangerous as the pipe can close and bind on the
blade. I think several fellas can give some good input and advice
with the proper information.

If the piece(s) will be fairly short, you can rig a block on the
end of the pipe (hot melt glue?) that will keep you indexed on the
saw table. Be prepared to wedge the cut open to reduce saw bind.
Don't hesitate to consider making a jig or box to use a circle
saw.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MarkS" wrote in message
Hi all,
For a project I am working on I need to split a length of pvc
pipe in half lengthwise. Any suggestions?
Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 7:54 pm, "DanG" wrote:
It would be important to tell us what diameter of pipe and what
length you need. Be aware, cutting one side of large diameter
pipe can be very dangerous as the pipe can close and bind on the
blade. I think several fellas can give some good input and advice
with the proper information.

If the piece(s) will be fairly short, you can rig a block on the
end of the pipe (hot melt glue?) that will keep you indexed on the
saw table. Be prepared to wedge the cut open to reduce saw bind.
Don't hesitate to consider making a jig or box to use a circle
saw.

Use a handsaw and be done with it. That's how plumbers cut
the stuff. Do this on a machine, be prepared to spend a whole
day cleaning up the millions of electrically charged PVC particles
that stick to anything with an opposite charge, such as bandsaw
tires, hair, and clothing.