Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATON - Bowl Lathe

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26160

The lathe thread made me decide to google bit. Because if I had
$1,000 available to spend, ne of the last things I'd sendit on is a
lathe. Not when they're not tat hard to make - in my view anyway. I'd
definitely make some sturdier lookin legs tho.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26160

The lathe thread made me decide to google bit. Because if I had
$1,000 available to spend, ne of the last things I'd sendit on is a
lathe. Not when they're not tat hard to make - in my view anyway. I'd
definitely make some sturdier lookin legs tho.

Looks, maybe. I'll bet the steel is incompressible along its length, which
is what counts, and with what appears to be box construction, probably won't
flex under any off-center loading that would clear the bed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 09:06:36 -0400, (J T) wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26160

The lathe thread made me decide to google bit. Because if I had
$1,000 available to spend, ne of the last things I'd sendit on is a
lathe. Not when they're not tat hard to make - in my view anyway. I'd
definitely make some sturdier lookin legs tho.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Looks like a great idea if you happen to have I-beams and stuff laying around...

To a wood worker in training like me, I'd pay to have one built before I spent
the time to learn metal working..

So many projects, so little time...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

.... Not when they're not tat hard to make - in my view anyway. ...

A few year back, the Smithsonian Folk Festival on the Mall featured
Hawaii. There were a couple of guys turning koa bowls. One had a bowl
massive lathe made from structural steel. We speed control was an old
truck transmission. Very impressive.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 9:06 am, (J T) wrote:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...ideArticle.asp...

The lathe thread made me decide to google bit. Because if I had
$1,000 available to spend, ne of the last things I'd sendit on is a
lathe. Not when they're not tat hard to make - in my view anyway. I'd
definitely make some sturdier lookin legs tho.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

I'd make the base as heavy as possible, maybe even
poured concrete. Oversized turnings have a way of making
a lathe want to walk, especially if you don't rough the blank
first.

Speaking of older issues of FWW, does anyone recall the
DIY bowl lathe made from an old VW hub?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:33:35 -0400, (J T) wrote:

Mon, Jul 9, 2007, 10:59am (EDT-3)

(mac*davis) doth sayeth:
it's more a matter of priorities, bro...
snip and after 9 months here, I still don't know how the shop will be
set up..
Just too many irons in the fire to get side tracked, which is my
nature.. lol

No prob. All you've got to dois get some metal, and a welder.
Weld a couple of pieces together. Later weld some more on. No rush,
because you haven't got a shop. I do any number of my projects that
way, do a little, decide what the next step is, plan it as you go
along.. That way by the time you've got a place to use it, you'll have
a custom bowl lathe.

Imagine my surprise, when yesterday I found some huge angle iron
pieces out n the front yard. They are about 2'-3', around 1/2" thick,
and 6"-8" each side. A couple of them are about 4' long. Plus some
misc tubing. If I wanted one, there's enough metal out there to make a
lathe capable of handling some pretty healthy chunks of wood. But so
far my HF lathes takes care of all my turning needs. I wonder what the
kid would say if I started using up his metal to make a lathe. LMAO

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Actually, I do have room in the shop for something like that... love to make it
digital speed too... lol
You've got me thinking now, about welding, metal fabrication, etc..

A friend down here just finished building his house and I'll be helping him
build a large detached shop...
Might just be a coincidence, but he's going to build desert rails in the shop...
hmmmmm...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

A friend down here just finished building his house and I'll be helping
him
build a large detached shop...
Might just be a coincidence, but he's going to build desert rails in the
shop...
hmmmmm...

Desert Rails???

What are those?

And as my father used to say,

"A friend with a shop is a friend indeed."

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Jul 11, 2007, 1:13pm
(Lee*Michaels) doth query:
Desert Rails???
What are those? snip

Must be for desert trains, eh?

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Wed, Jul 11, 2007, 1:13pm
(Lee Michaels) doth query:
Desert Rails???
What are those? snip

Must be for desert trains, eh?

sand rails, also known as dune buggies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:13:04 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

A friend down here just finished building his house and I'll be helping
him
build a large detached shop...
Might just be a coincidence, but he's going to build desert rails in the
shop...
hmmmmm...

Desert Rails???

What are those?

And as my father used to say,

"A friend with a shop is a friend indeed."

Well, there's 3 versions of "buggies", all based on VW bug parts..

Dune buggy.... rip off the vw body and put a fiberglass one on... for very light
use and or to be looked at cuz they're cute..

Sand rail.. looks sort of like an old "rail" dragster, mostly beefed up VW guts
with light duty frame and good suspension.. some have tube frame..
Used mostly (AFAIK) in WA and California on sand dunes..

Desert rail... Sand rail on steroids, to take the pounding of rocks, etc...
Usually built from ground up with heavy gauge round or square stock, VW bus
engine & transmission, fuel cell, disk brakes, EFI, etc...