Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default INSPIRATON - Bowl Lathe

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:33:35 -0400, (J T) wrote:

Mon, Jul 9, 2007, 10:59am (EDT-3)

(mac*davis) doth sayeth:
it's more a matter of priorities, bro...
snip and after 9 months here, I still don't know how the shop will be
set up..
Just too many irons in the fire to get side tracked, which is my
nature.. lol

No prob. All you've got to dois get some metal, and a welder.
Weld a couple of pieces together. Later weld some more on. No rush,
because you haven't got a shop. I do any number of my projects that
way, do a little, decide what the next step is, plan it as you go
along.. That way by the time you've got a place to use it, you'll have
a custom bowl lathe.

Imagine my surprise, when yesterday I found some huge angle iron
pieces out n the front yard. They are about 2'-3', around 1/2" thick,
and 6"-8" each side. A couple of them are about 4' long. Plus some
misc tubing. If I wanted one, there's enough metal out there to make a
lathe capable of handling some pretty healthy chunks of wood. But so
far my HF lathes takes care of all my turning needs. I wonder what the
kid would say if I started using up his metal to make a lathe. LMAO

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Actually, I do have room in the shop for something like that... love to make it
digital speed too... lol
You've got me thinking now, about welding, metal fabrication, etc..

A friend down here just finished building his house and I'll be helping him
build a large detached shop...
Might just be a coincidence, but he's going to build desert rails in the shop...
hmmmmm...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing