Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATON - Bowl Lathe

Sun, Jul 8, 2007, 3:04pm (EDT+4) (George) doth sayeth
Looks, maybe. I'll bet the steel is incompressible along its length,
which is what counts, and with what appears to be box construction,
probably won't flex under any off-center loading that would clear the
bed.

The front two legs are splayed, with no brace between them, I
wouldn't want to bet they wouldn't splay more over time. Neither set of
legs are braced front to back either, so they won't start leaning. The
lathe looks pretty small, even so, I'd make it sturdier. If I was to
make a lathe, I'd make the biggest I had room for. You can still turn
small bowls on a big lathe, bt you can't turn big bowls on a small
lathe. And I'd make damn sure I braced it every which way.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso