Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Negative gloat!

I have always boasted of my great buys; so it is only fair to mention a
screw up. Maybe someone can learn from it.

I bought a set of reconditioned Dewalt 36v tools on Ebay for $480. That is
$75 less than I could find them for anywhere else.
There was a packing slip on the box. The seller had bought them from Amazon
two weeks earlier for $399!
I checked Amazon today, and they have them for $399. ARRRGGGHHH!

Well, they didn't have them when I checked, and I sure don't need them now;
but they are great tools, so if anyone wants a good buy...

But you know, they are going for over $500 right now on Ebay, maybe if I
bought a few sets... nah; ain't worth the hassle for a $25 profit.
(freight, ebay expense, paypal expense...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I have always boasted of my great buys; so it is only fair to mention a
screw up. Maybe someone can learn from it.

I bought a set of reconditioned Dewalt 36v tools on Ebay for $480. That
is $75 less than I could find them for anywhere else.
There was a packing slip on the box. The seller had bought them from
Amazon two weeks earlier for $399!
I checked Amazon today, and they have them for $399. ARRRGGGHHH!

Well, they didn't have them when I checked, and I sure don't need them
now; but they are great tools, so if anyone wants a good buy...

But you know, they are going for over $500 right now on Ebay, maybe if I
bought a few sets... nah; ain't worth the hassle for a $25 profit.
(freight, ebay expense, paypal expense...)

Why, did you buy them if you did not need them?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Negative gloat....? Does that mean I suck?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Toller" wrote in message
I have always boasted of my great buys; so it is only fair to mention a
screw up. Maybe someone can learn from it.

I bought a set of reconditioned Dewalt 36v tools on Ebay for $480. That
is $75 less than I could find them for anywhere else.
There was a packing slip on the box. The seller had bought them from
Amazon two weeks earlier for $399!
I checked Amazon today, and they have them for $399. ARRRGGGHHH!

Well, they didn't have them when I checked, and I sure don't need them
now; but they are great tools, so if anyone wants a good buy...

But you know, they are going for over $500 right now on Ebay, maybe if I
bought a few sets... nah; ain't worth the hassle for a $25 profit.
(freight, ebay expense, paypal expense...)

Why, did you buy them if you did not need them?

I bought them because I needed them.
I "don't need them now" from amazon because I already bought them on ebay.
Get it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 29, 6:57 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message

But you know, they are going for over $500 right now on Ebay, maybe if I
bought a few sets... nah; ain't worth the hassle for a $25 profit.
(freight, ebay expense, paypal expense...)

Why, did you buy them if you did not need them?

I bought them because I needed them.
I "don't need them now" from amazon because I already bought them on ebay.
Get it?

You have a disease. How do I know? Because I have the same one.
After I do all of my homework, scour the web, check eBay, and make my
purchase, I keep shopping until I find a cheaper price.

I think it's my way of keeping me humble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:44:37 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I bought a set of reconditioned Dewalt 36v tools on Ebay for $480. That is
$75 less than I could find them for anywhere else.
There was a packing slip on the box. The seller had bought them from Amazon
two weeks earlier for $399!

The seller left a neener in the box? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
Well, they didn't have them when I checked, and I sure don't need them
now; but they are great tools, so if anyone wants a good buy...

But you know, they are going for over $500 right now on Ebay, maybe if I
bought a few sets... nah; ain't worth the hassle for a $25 profit.
(freight, ebay expense, paypal expense...)

Why, did you buy them if you did not need them?

I bought them because I needed them.
I "don't need them now" from amazon because I already bought them on ebay.
Get it?

Now that you have put in all the explained what you were trying to say I do.

You said,

I checked Amazon today, and they have them for $399. ARRRGGGHHH!

Well, they didn't have them when I checked, and I sure don't need them
now; but they are great tools, so if anyone wants a good buy...

That sounded like you were trying to sell the ones you bought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Why, did you buy them if you did not need them?

We often see a similar question in regard to guns, usually framed in an
accusatory fashion: "Why do you need a firearm capable of [holding 30
bullets, spraying death indiscriminately, that looks so menacing, capable of
bringing down an airliner, etc.]?"

This is often followed by the opinion that: "No one needs ..."

The operative word is not "need;" the action word is "want."

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

We often see a similar question in regard to guns, usually framed in an
accusatory fashion: "Why do you need a firearm capable of [holding 30
bullets, spraying death indiscriminately, that looks so menacing,

capable of
bringing down an airliner, etc.]?"

Seems like a good question to me.

IMHO, if you need more than one shot, you don't deserve the meat.

At least that is the way I was taught.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

We often see a similar question in regard to guns, usually framed in
an accusatory fashion: "Why do you need a firearm capable of
[holding 30 bullets, spraying death indiscriminately, that looks so
menacing, capable of bringing down an airliner, etc.]?"

Seems like a good question to me.

IMHO, if you need more than one shot, you don't deserve the meat.

At least that is the way I was taught.

Good point. There's a one word retort, though. I can't use the word on a
family-oriented newsgroup, but here's a translation:

"Zulus! Thousands of 'em!"

-------
I got into a conversation with one of my customers who lives on Cape Cod. I
told her about visiting a local (Texas) gun show and being somewhat
surprised at the number of crew-served weapons for sale.

"What's a crew-served weapon?" she asked.
I replied: "Oh, it's one that takes more than one person to operate it - a
heavy machine gun, a mortar, things like that."
"What are the people who buy these things going to do with them?"
"Uh, nothing," I said. "It's just having them that is the goal."
"I don't believe that," she said. "They must have some plan in mind!"
"Okay, Carol," I confided. "I can tell you. We're stocking up for the
revolution."

"I KNEW IT!"