meirman

Default positive and negative

I almost can't believe it, but after 35 years, I still get confused
about positive and negative. Sorry to bother you, but I just can't
remember.

I'm replacing a bridge rectifier with 4 separate diodes, and I know
where the negative should be. If I put one diode on one AC wire, and
another diode in the opposite direction on the other AC wire, and if I
set the VOM on 200V DC, and I put the common/negative/black lead from
the voltmeter on the unconnected end of one diode, and the
positive/red lead on the other diode, and the needle moves to the
right (I get a positive reading) does that mean the diode with the
black wire on it is putting out negative?

That's what I think, but I'm not sure.

If I went by the silver/grey band on one end of the diode, would that
end be the positive or negative end?

These are all laid out parallel to each other and taped together, with
narrow white paper tape on one end, and red paper tape on the other.
This means that the end with the red tape puts out positive voltages,
right?

Thanks.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
James Sweet

"meirman" wrote in message
[...]

Connect two diodes together at the striped end, that'll be your positive
output, connect the other two together at the non-striped end, that'll be
your negative output, now connect the two free pairs together in the middle
and apply AC across those.

meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:42:51 GMT "James
Sweet" posted:

"meirman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks a lot.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure that will work.

(And of the ones which had never been used yet, the striped ends were
the ones connected with the red paper tape, which makes sense. Red =
plus.)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
JURB6006

Connect two of the diodes together by the cathodes (banded end), connect the
other two by the anodes (obviously the non-banded end).

At the junction of the two banded ends you get positive, the negative is
supplied by the aforementioned anodes.

NOW LISTEN, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING DON'T DO IT ,,,,
unless you use a small 12 volt tranformer or something, stay away from those
mains.

When you connect the ends you'll have AC applied to both an anode and a cathode
at all times.

This is called full-wave rectification.Positive and negative cycles are always
sent to the proper output pins, of course, because of the diodes.You are
basically building a "full wave bridge rectifier".

Again, if you don't know what you're doing, at least in electrical safety, DO
NOT DO IT. Also, make sure the diodes you are using are of the same or higher
ratings.

To sum it up, I'd rather just order the right friggin part. And, if it's mains
rectifiers, don't do it at all, or on an SMPS. This is important.In some cases
you really need the right part.

JURB
meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:42:51 GMT "James
Sweet" posted:

"meirman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Second reply. Posted and mailed.

Well, you were right of course, and the tiny air compressor is fixed.
I bought it and a lawn mower at a junk yard for 20 dollars. Fixed the
lawn mower somehow without spending a dime (although it may need a
helicoil when next spring comes and I try to mow a whole lawn with it.
The mower looks brand new and the closest model to it sells for 175
dollars.

The bridge rectifier had shorted, I guess, and burned out a trace on
the circuit board. Then it blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse, ran a
wire in place of the circuit board connection, and put in 4 diodes.
But I had all the stuff so it didn't cost anything. The compressor
sells for 75 dollars, although that would include a hose and other
attachments. A set of those sells for 10 to 15 dollars.

So I'm doing well.

I alswo bought at the junk yard two gas powered Homelite weed wackers
for 7 dollars, figruing I could combine them to make one good one.
Failed to notice that neither had a carburetor. I'm not sure what I'm
going to do but I'm still ahead of the game.

Thanks for the help.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

NSM

"meirman" wrote in message
| I almost can't believe it, but after 35 years, I still get confused
| about positive and negative. Sorry to bother you, but I just can't
| remember.
|
| I'm replacing a bridge rectifier with 4 separate diodes, and I know
| where the negative should be. ...

+-+-- Pos out
A A
AC in -+ |