Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New planer - advice before I use it?

J T wrote:
| Sun, Jun 24, 2007, 6:29pm (EDT-1) (Morris Dovey)
| doth plead thusly:
| Can/would you post photos? I've thought about doing this, but never
| managed to come up with a design I thought would be worth
| building...
|
| Okey dokey, i'll see if i can remember to take the camera out
| there. Won't guarantee the quality of the pictures - maybe I'd best
| try to take two cameras. If I'm going to that much trouble I mig
| as well try to get some decent shots of my router table too. I dun
| good on that. And, seeing as my saw needs some adjusting from
| below, might's well take it off the base now and get some pictures
| of the base, it's kinda sorta art deco, or something. Might's well
| take pictures of some my masters too, and the dog, corporate iggle.
| Anything else? LOL

Well, the planer sled with cam clamps all by itself would of been
pretty good. I've built a couple of cam clamps, and found 'em useful.
If you've built some, I might learn something new from seeing 'em. I'm
interested in just about anything that can be made in the shop that
makes woodworking easier and/or more satisfying. There's a lot of
stuff that isn't sold in stores or is too expensive to buy, that can
be owner-built from scraps, glue, and some careful work.

The router table'd be a bonus. I bought mine 'cause I was in a rush to
get a job done. It's a good table, but I don't like it as well as some
I've seen that people have built for themselves. Best part of my
router table is the little mini-cyclone separator I built to use with.

Y'know, until I stumbled onto r.w, I'd never seen or heard of a table
saw sled - and the simple on I cobbled together has become one of the
most important tools in my shop. If you have the camera in your hand
and you think someone might benefit from seeing a picture - take it!

Not sure about iggle. I'll leave that up to you. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Jun 26, 2007, 1:49am (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey) doth
sayeth:
snip The router table'd be a bonus. I bought mine 'cause I was in a
rush to get a job done. It's a good table, but I don't like it as well
as some I've seen that people have built for themselves. Best part of my
router table is the little mini-cyclone separator I built to use with.
snip

I am very happy with the router table. I'll get a bulb for my
light so I should be able to get decent pictures. It's kinda basic, no
cabinet, et al, no fence - yet, because I don't need one, yet. But went
together quickly, except for glue drying tme, came out probably better
than I had expected, and works even better than I had hoped. My shop is
small, so no DC or anything, still figuring on where I can reasnably put
one, so the sawdust just shoots toward the back. Should be easy enough
to hook up something tho.

It's attached to a shelf. I think that if it was on a cabinet,
free-standing, I'd have a hinged, or lift-off, top on it. Because I
tend to do a numbe of pieces on it, then move elsewhere to continue work
on them. That would give me an extra work surface when the router
wasn't being used - I've got a lift-off that goes on the wood lathe
stand, and that works out great. Being bolted to the shelf is good tho,
it's low enough to sit using it, and with my back, and joints, that's a
blessing. If it was free-standing I think I'd still want it low enough
to sit to use.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"IF" during use you ever loose power to the planer, "turn the planer off"
and remove the wood before the power comes back on or before you plug it
back in.

I have 4 major tools, a 10" circular saw with 6" planer, a band saw, an
8" planer thicknesser, a 10" disk sander, and a router/circular saw
table. All have magnetic switches, AAMOF I sometimes cut the main feed
instead of the individual switches.

When I was in the UK the power was never cut but now it goes out every
time it rains. The ease and safty of the magnetic switches makes the
cuts trivial if anoying. and you never have to worry (or remember) to
switch off in time.

so my recomendation is invest in one or more Mag Switches

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerome Meekings" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

"IF" during use you ever loose power to the planer, "turn the planer
off"
and remove the wood before the power comes back on or before you plug it
back in.

I have 4 major tools, a 10" circular saw with 6" planer, a band saw, an
8" planer thicknesser, a 10" disk sander, and a router/circular saw
table. All have magnetic switches, AAMOF I sometimes cut the main feed
instead of the individual switches.

When I was in the UK the power was never cut but now it goes out every
time it rains. The ease and safty of the magnetic switches makes the
cuts trivial if anoying. and you never have to worry (or remember) to
switch off in time.

so my recomendation is invest in one or more Mag Switches

Where did you buy your 110 volt magnetic switches?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Where did you buy your 110 volt magnetic switches?

Sorry as I lived in and will live in the 90% of the world that uses 240
volts and they came with the machines as standard I am not sure. FWIW
even the one that is over 30 years old.

I may be using the wrong term. The way they work is that If the power to
the tool is cut they switch off. Otherwise known as NVR Switches

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...R-Switch-21280
..htm

On the above3 it is named a magnetic switch.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...p-NVR-Switch-4
52985.htm

16A or about 3.5Kw

I would guess that you can get them for 110 volts

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Where did you buy your 110 volt magnetic switches?

Sorry as I lived in and will live in the 90% of the world that uses 240
volts and they came with the machines as standard I am not sure. FWIW
even the one that is over 30 years old.

I may be using the wrong term. The way they work is that If the power to
the tool is cut they switch off. Otherwise known as NVR Switches

You are using the correct term for the U.S.. Most better 220 volt power
tools have magnetic switches. Because every 110 volt power tool that I have
seen has a mechanical switch I was wondering where you may have gotten
yours. But, since your tools are 220 volt, that answers that. ;~)
I have never seen a 110 volt variety.

Thanks anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You are using the correct term for the U.S.. Most better 220 volt power
tools have magnetic switches. Because every 110 volt power tool that I have
seen has a mechanical switch I was wondering where you may have gotten
yours. But, since your tools are 220 volt, that answers that. ;~)
I have never seen a 110 volt variety.

Thanks anyway.

Grainger has a number of contactors with 110V coils. For an example see:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5B093

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

You are using the correct term for the U.S.. Most better 220 volt power
tools have magnetic switches. Because every 110 volt power tool that I
have seen has a mechanical switch I was wondering where you may have
gotten yours. But, since your tools are 220 volt, that answers that.
;~)
I have never seen a 110 volt variety.

Thanks anyway.

Grainger has a number of contactors with 110V coils. For an example see:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5B093

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Grizzly also has some
http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...agnetic+switch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
You are using the correct term for the U.S.. Most better 220 volt power
tools have magnetic switches. Because every 110 volt power tool that I have
seen has a mechanical switch I was wondering where you may have gotten
yours. But, since your tools are 220 volt, that answers that. ;~)
I have never seen a 110 volt variety.

Grainger has a number of contactors with 110V coils. For an example see:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5B093

At $185 a pop, i can see where these aren't a fast seller...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 12:20 pm, mac davis wrote:
Just got a Ridgid planer.. pretty basic and looks a bit like the pictures of a

TAKE IT BACK, GET THE DEWALT WITH THREE CUTTING BLADES

Delta...

I've never had or used one before but since I got a real table saw recently,
this seemed like the next step...

Being too old and lazy to reinvent the wheel, I'd appreciate and tips, warnings,
"don't do's", etc. from you in the group that use them.

I think a few of you were born using them (-;

Ridgid tp1300 13" planer...

So far, I've put the stand together, put BIG casters on it, (it goes in the
carport on a packed dirt floor), adjusted the infeed/outfeed tables, the cutter
head and such, as called for in the manual...

I haven't turned it on yet... waiting for advice and a project the requires
it....
I sure wish I had it last month when I made the wife 3 sets of book shelves!

TIA for any suggestions, warnings, DAMHIKT, etc..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Jun 23, 12:20 pm, mac davis wrote:
Just got a Ridgid planer.. pretty basic and looks a bit like the pictures of a

TAKE IT BACK, GET THE DEWALT WITH THREE CUTTING BLADES

Okay ... technically that IS 'advice'.

;-)
Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000753-0, 07/01/2007
Tested on: 7/2/2007 12:07:16 AM

Advice on old deck- joiner vs planer [email protected] Woodworking 13 May 17th 18 11:44 PM
Advice on Planer. knowone Woodworking 7 December 16th 05 02:29 AM
Planer advice Art Ransom Woodworking 3 October 17th 05 04:24 PM
Planer (powered) advice? al UK diy 18 March 9th 05 09:18 AM
Planer Advice od oy Woodworking 13 September 9th 04 07:11 PM