Posted to rec.woodworking

Default trunnion trouble, or, why can't I adjust my tablesaw?

On 26 Apr 2007 08:59:34 -0700, VeryLargeCorp wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Because the difference from front to back
is so extreme (more than 1/4 inch), I haven't been very precise in my
measurements. I'm trying to just get it in the ballpark before
bothering with precision.

But to answer your question, I'm measuring with a stick clamped to the
miter bar. The stick has a screw in the end. Not the ultimate in
precision, I know, but good enough to get a least kinda close, I would
hope.

ds

When you are ready for precision, you can add a feeler guage to the
mix. Get the screw close but not touching, and the feeler guage will
get you to within .001".
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

You can get closer than that with a piece of paper. Always available, were a
feeler gage may not be.

"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message

When you are ready for precision, you can add a feeler guage to the
mix. Get the screw close but not touching, and the feeler guage will
get you to within .001".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 6:09 pm, "CW" wrote:
You can get closer than that with a piece of paper. Always available, were a
feeler gage may not be.

Rolling papers = 0.001".

3 x 5 index cards = 1/128" exactly.

"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message

When you are ready for precision, you can add a feeler guage to the
mix. Get the screw close but not touching, and the feeler guage will
get you to within .001".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

If you really serious about getting your table saw aligned. Give this a
try:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/TS_aligner.htm

Disclaimer: No affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.

If he's actually 1/4" out, he should be able to eyeball it. Extending
the blade on a try-square and dropping its frame into the miter slot
will get him even closer.

Once he gets it -that- close, he can start casting about for a way to
bring it on home. But if he can't get it straight by eye, then he's got
more problems than a TS-Aligner can help him with.

I think you know that I'm all in favor of using indicators when
appropriate. But until he can get it as close as the try-square --or
even the screw on a stick-- will allow, he isn't ready for an indicator.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000738-2, 05/04/2007
Tested on: 5/4/2007 10:27:57 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

__ Bob __ wrote:
Stoutman wrote:

Feeler gauge?? Won't the feeler gauge flex the blade over as you
slip it between?

Not if you learn how to use one .. .. .. a rare skill in this day of
digital-mania !! The skill of "feeling" the drag on a feeler gauge is
the secret to it's use. BTW, that's how the "feeler gauge" got it's
name .. .. .. you FEEL the drag.

Same sense of touch is used with a micrometer ... even if you have a
ratchet or friction thimble. I always adjusted mine for a light sense of
touch, not full-on with the thimble.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000738-2, 05/04/2007
Tested on: 5/4/2007 10:33:28 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:09 pm, "CW" wrote:
You can get closer than that with a piece of paper. Always available, were a
feeler gage may not be.

Rolling papers = 0.001".

3 x 5 index cards = 1/128" exactly.

Most notebook papers ~.003" ... but this sort of measurement doesn't
care how thick the paper is as long as he uses the same piece of paper
for both front and back measurement. We don't care how big the gap is
.... only that it is the same front to back. That is enough to establish
parallelism. For that matter, he could also use the shank end of a drill
bit as his feeler stock.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000738-2, 05/04/2007
Tested on: 5/4/2007 10:39:52 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 7:39 pm, Bill in Detroit wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:09 pm, "CW" wrote:
You can get closer than that with a piece of paper. Always available, were a
feeler gage may not be.

Rolling papers = 0.001".

3 x 5 index cards = 1/128" exactly.

Most notebook papers ~.003" ... but this sort of measurement doesn't
care how thick the paper is as long as he uses the same piece of paper
for both front and back measurement. We don't care how big the gap is
... only that it is the same front to back. That is enough to establish
parallelism. For that matter, he could also use the shank end of a drill
bit as his feeler stock.

Bill

--http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000738-2, 05/04/2007
Tested on: 5/4/2007 10:39:52 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.http://www.avast.com

Hi, just to follow up on this (I'm the OP)--I wound up sending it back
to Grizzly. They were very easy to deal with and paid shipping. I
still don't know what the problem was, but I'm glad I can have some
experts take care of it for me. Thanks to everyone for the advice and
opinions.

ds