Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Want longer cord for Delta TS

In article , "The Davenport's" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article , "The Davenport's"
wrote:

However, you 14-3 wire is not anywhere near large enough....unless you
WANT
to watch your wire melt before your very eyes! :

And your basis for this belief is -- ?

Let's be realistic, shall we? 3 HP is in the neighborhood of 12 amps at 220 V.
That's not anywhere close to melting 14ga wire. Or the insulation on it.

No...2hp is in the area of 12 amps. 3hp is going to be closer to 16-18,

18A @ 220V = almost 4KW -- that's pretty inefficient for 3 HP.

depending on the motor itself. I will say that it would have been better had
the OP posted the amperage, but still, a 3hp table saw is gonna pull some
amps.

And THAT is what I based my belief on.

Perhaps you should check the melting point of copper wire, then reevaluate the
basis for your belief.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

However, you 14-3 wire is not anywhere near large enough....unless you
WANT
to watch your wire melt before your very eyes! :

And your basis for this belief is -- ?

Let's be realistic, shall we? 3 HP is in the neighborhood of 12 amps at
220 V.
That's not anywhere close to melting 14ga wire. Or the insulation on it.

--
Regards,

No...2hp is in the area of 12 amps. 3hp is going to be closer to 16-18,
depending on the motor itself. I will say that it would have been better
had the OP posted the amperage, but still, a 3hp table saw is gonna pull
some amps.

And THAT is what I based my belief on.

Mike

I just grabbed my Grainger catalog and checked through the 3 HP motors. Amps
draw ranged from 13-19 for 240 volt, single phase motors. I generally figure
about 5 amps per HP on 220 volts.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Greg O" wrote
"The Davenport's" wrote

No...2hp is in the area of 12 amps. 3hp is going to be closer to 16-18,
depending on the motor itself. I will say that it would have been better
had the OP posted the amperage, but still, a 3hp table saw is gonna pull
some amps.

And THAT is what I based my belief on.

Mike

I just grabbed my Grainger catalog and checked through the 3 HP motors.
Amps draw ranged from 13-19 for 240 volt, single phase motors. I generally
figure about 5 amps per HP on 220 volts.
Greg

The plate on my 3HP Jet planer says 15 amps.
It's plugged into a 20 amp outlet. No problems.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:

The plate on my 3HP Jet planer says 15 amps.
It's plugged into a 20 amp outlet. No problems.

You just made it by the skin of your chiny chin chin.

A thermal-magnetic c'bkr is rated at 80% of nameplate when installed
in a panel board or load center.

Thus a 20A c'bkr connected to a #12AWG conductor will handle 16A on a
continuous basis.

Above 16A, you begin to operate on the time/current portion of the
c'bkr which is less than continuous duty.

BTW, just for reference, a 15A c'bkr connected to a #14AWG conductor
will only handle 12A on a continuous basis.

Case you are curious, it's all defined in your handy dandy NEC, a copy
of which should be on file at your local library.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . net, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thus a 20A c'bkr connected to a #12AWG conductor will handle 16A on a
continuous basis.

A home-shop table saw doesn't even come close to being a continuous load,
defined by the NEC as "a load where the maximum current is expected to
continue for 3 hours or more."

BTW, just for reference, a 15A c'bkr connected to a #14AWG conductor
will only handle 12A on a continuous basis.

Again: "continuous" = maximum current for 3 hours or more. Definitely not in
any home shop, and probably not in any production shop either.

Case you are curious, it's all defined in your handy dandy NEC, a copy
of which should be on file at your local library.

Indeed it is. That same handy dandy NEC tells you that the 15A limit on 14AWG
wire is the maximum permitted rating of the overcurrent device, *not* the
maximum rating of the conductor. Table 310.16 specifies that the ampacity
(maximum current) of 14AWG copper wire is 20 amps with 60 or 75 deg C
insulation, 25 amps with 90 deg C insulation.

FWIW, the factory-supplied power cord on my JET 3HP table saw is 14-3 SJT
(rated at 105 deg C).

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Max wrote:

The plate on my 3HP Jet planer says 15 amps.
It's plugged into a 20 amp outlet. No problems.

You just made it by the skin of your chiny chin chin.

A thermal-magnetic c'bkr is rated at 80% of nameplate when installed in a
panel board or load center.

Thus a 20A c'bkr connected to a #12AWG conductor will handle 16A on a
continuous basis.

Above 16A, you begin to operate on the time/current portion of the c'bkr
which is less than continuous duty.

BTW, just for reference, a 15A c'bkr connected to a #14AWG conductor will
only handle 12A on a continuous basis.

Case you are curious, it's all defined in your handy dandy NEC, a copy of
which should be on file at your local library.

Lew

I still have a copy of the NEC from prior to retirement.

Max (retired Deputy Fire Chief)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:
"Greg O" wrote in message
These electrical questions that get answered by the cusless are fun!!!

Greg

Crap!
make that "Clueless"
Greg

Try to stay current: the thread for the spelling-challenged was last
week. ;-)

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000732-0, 04/10/2007
Tested on: 4/10/2007 4:00:15 PM