Default Power cord on Delta Contractor's Saw (34-444)

All:

Sounds silly, I realize, but I'm having a bit of a problem replacing a
damanged power cord on my Delta Contractor's Saw. (Discovered quite by
accident that the cord had been resting on the drive belt (!!!), and
the black insulating jacket had been reduced to a pile of powder
leaving about 2" of fully exposed wire. For a small slit, I'd consider
just wrapping electrical tape around it, but I thought this damage was
too severe for that).

The problem arises with removal of the cord at the front switch. The
cord attaches to the switch at three terminals, two of which are
simple push-terminals and were pulled off easily with a pair of pliers.
The third terminal, however, is an o-ring secured to a rectangular
metal bracket via a small screw. That screw, despite much gnashing of
teeth and attempts by several people, will NOT budge.

Could someone advise if that screw post is secured by some type of
fixative or compound that purposely prevents removal? Or am I just the
unfortunate recpient of a cross-threaded screw? Or does Delta intend
for me to replace the whole thing - switch and cord - if the cord
becomes damaged? I suppose I could just cut the cord at the screw
terminal post and splice a new cord in its place, but that seems like a
sloppy repair..

Thanks for your help.

-David

Steve DeMars

What I have done is shortened & replaced with twist-lok female. Then made up
a real nice heavy SO12/3 Cord that can be removed when the saw is not in
use. Sort of like the new Bosch Tools have.

Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mike in Arkansas

My guess is that i'ts the ground terminal. Not sure why it would be so
tight. I agree with the previous poster. Cut your cord just on the
saw side of the damage. Put on an inline connector and the opposite
gender on a nice heavy extension cord.

George

wrote in message
[...]

Grounding terminal, and probably a star washer? Crank hard. Especially in
a bi or tri-metallic situation you may have some major corrosion in the
area.

Get the new switch, discover what it wants and get the appropriate
connector. That way, even if you have to take out your dremel cutoff wheel
and saw the screw off, you'll be ready to rewire. Shortening by an inch or
two won't hurt, surely.

Dave

[...]

that happened to me too. I cut out the damage and used wire nuts to wire
it back together, along with some electrical tape. works fine. seems to
me that delta needs to relocate their power cords.

George

"Dave" wrote in message
that happened to me too. I cut out the damage and used wire nuts to wire
it back together, along with some electrical tape. works fine. seems to
me that delta needs to relocate their power cords.

They included tie wraps in my old beast. As well as directions. Maybe I
should look to see if any have snapped.

John

Cut that stubborn wire off about 2inches from the terminal, then
attach a quick connect of some kind and avoid maybe messing something
up at the terminal

John

On 5 Jul 2005 08:13:12 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Steve DeMars

(3)Butt connectors, #33 Scotch Electrical Tape & a (1) piece of heavy duty
heat shrink . . . .

It will look professional and be very safe / sturdy.
Need details, post a request . . .

Steve