Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Want longer cord for Delta TS

In article , "The Davenport's" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article , "The Davenport's"
wrote:

However, you 14-3 wire is not anywhere near large enough....unless you
WANT
to watch your wire melt before your very eyes! :

And your basis for this belief is -- ?

Let's be realistic, shall we? 3 HP is in the neighborhood of 12 amps at 220 V.
That's not anywhere close to melting 14ga wire. Or the insulation on it.

No...2hp is in the area of 12 amps. 3hp is going to be closer to 16-18,

18A @ 220V = almost 4KW -- that's pretty inefficient for 3 HP.

depending on the motor itself. I will say that it would have been better had
the OP posted the amperage, but still, a 3hp table saw is gonna pull some
amps.

And THAT is what I based my belief on.

Perhaps you should check the melting point of copper wire, then reevaluate the
basis for your belief.

--
Regards,