Posted to rec.woodworking

Default square hole with jigsaw

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith wrote:
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're applying too much force when moving the blade
forward. Make sure your blade is sharp, and let the saw do the work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 23, 1:54 pm, "Keith" wrote:
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

You might try to drill four holes, one in each corner. That way your
jig saw cuts are all straight lines, but you then have to square the
corners with a file.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith wrote:

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

How thick is the material?

Be patient, it is slow work.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Drill your starter hole and proceed as before but STAY ABOUT 1/16TH AWAY
FROM THE LINE. Clean out the scrap with a mallet and sharp chisel. If you
have one, use a corner chisel to get nice square corners.

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Mar 2007 10:54:55 -0700, "Keith" wrote:

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Might be tedious to do. Sounds like a mortising bit will work well,
or if that's not practical then using a sharp chisel after removing
90% as you have been doing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your technique needs improvement. The answer is simple.
If you put sideways pressure on a jigsaw the blade will bend and
the cut will not be vertical. You should be applying only downward
and forward pressure to the saw. Try sawing on a scrap, both with
and without sideways pressure, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also. Don't use a fence or guide on a jigsaw as blade can have a
drift and not cut parallel to the edge of the sole plate. This will cause
sideways forces as you cut. I have found free hand is my best bet.

Art

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Art is right. You're putting to much pressure sideways against the steel
rule. The blade will bend. Nothing wrong with the saw. Again free hand is
best.

Tim

"WoodButcher" wrote in message
. ..
Your technique needs improvement. The answer is simple.
If you put sideways pressure on a jigsaw the blade will bend and
the cut will not be vertical. You should be applying only downward
and forward pressure to the saw. Try sawing on a scrap, both with
and without sideways pressure, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also. Don't use a fence or guide on a jigsaw as blade can have a
drift and not cut parallel to the edge of the sole plate. This will cause
sideways forces as you cut. I have found free hand is my best bet.

Art

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
Drill your starter hole and proceed as before but STAY ABOUT 1/16TH AWAY
FROM THE LINE. Clean out the scrap with a mallet and sharp chisel. If
you have one, use a corner chisel to get nice square corners.

You can also flatten the wavy edges with a file/

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Let the saw do the work, ease it forward. No side to side motion. Use
plenty of lighting to watch the guidelines. Drill a hole in each
corner so you can turn the saw. Finer teeth on the blade may help.

On 23 Mar 2007 10:54:55 -0700, "Keith" wrote:

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--