DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   square hole with jigsaw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/195961-square-hole-jigsaw.html)

Keith March 23rd 07 05:54 PM

square hole with jigsaw

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Charlie M. 1958 March 23rd 07 06:01 PM

square hole with jigsaw

Keith wrote:
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're applying too much force when moving the blade
forward. Make sure your blade is sharp, and let the saw do the work.

GROVER March 23rd 07 06:26 PM

square hole with jigsaw

On Mar 23, 1:54 pm, "Keith" wrote:
I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

You might try to drill four holes, one in each corner. That way your
jig saw cuts are all straight lines, but you then have to square the
corners with a file.
Joe G

Lew Hodgett March 23rd 07 06:34 PM

square hole with jigsaw

Keith wrote:

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

How thick is the material?

Be patient, it is slow work.

Lew

Chuck Hoffman March 23rd 07 06:35 PM

square hole with jigsaw

Drill your starter hole and proceed as before but STAY ABOUT 1/16TH AWAY
FROM THE LINE. Clean out the scrap with a mallet and sharp chisel. If you
have one, use a corner chisel to get nice square corners.

ups.com...

SWDeveloper March 23rd 07 08:15 PM

square hole with jigsaw

On 23 Mar 2007 10:54:55 -0700, "Keith" wrote:

I tried to cut a square hole with a jigsaw. I flat out failed as the
cut had a wavy appearance. I am using nice Bosch jigsaw.

What I did was to drill a hole and then approach the line. I had a
aluminum straight edge. I found that the angle I cut had caused the
blade to bend.

I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. I did
decide to ensure the blade will not bend yet I keep thinking I will
have the same issues. I searched the groups but did not an exact
answer. Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Might be tedious to do. Sounds like a mortising bit will work well,
or if that's not practical then using a sharp chisel after removing
90% as you have been doing.

WoodButcher March 23rd 07 10:46 PM

square hole with jigsaw

Your technique needs improvement. The answer is simple.
If you put sideways pressure on a jigsaw the blade will bend and
the cut will not be vertical. You should be applying only downward
and forward pressure to the saw. Try sawing on a scrap, both with
and without sideways pressure, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also. Don't use a fence or guide on a jigsaw as blade can have a
drift and not cut parallel to the edge of the sole plate. This will cause
sideways forces as you cut. I have found free hand is my best bet.

Art

ups.com...

tdup2 March 24th 07 01:49 AM

square hole with jigsaw

Art is right. You're putting to much pressure sideways against the steel
rule. The blade will bend. Nothing wrong with the saw. Again free hand is
best.

Tim

"WoodButcher" wrote in message
. ..
Your technique needs improvement. The answer is simple.
If you put sideways pressure on a jigsaw the blade will bend and
the cut will not be vertical. You should be applying only downward
and forward pressure to the saw. Try sawing on a scrap, both with
and without sideways pressure, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also. Don't use a fence or guide on a jigsaw as blade can have a
drift and not cut parallel to the edge of the sole plate. This will cause
sideways forces as you cut. I have found free hand is my best bet.

Art

ups.com...

J T March 24th 07 02:38 AM

square hole with jigsaw

Fri, Mar 23, 2007, 10:54am (EDT-3) (Keith) doth sayeth:
snip I have a new piece of stock and I am going to try again. snip

Us poor folk, if we don't know how to do something, we practice on
scrap. I'm still trying to figure out how you bent the blade.

JOAT
Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with
no heavy lifting.

C & E March 25th 07 02:09 AM

square hole with jigsaw

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
Drill your starter hole and proceed as before but STAY ABOUT 1/16TH AWAY
FROM THE LINE. Clean out the scrap with a mallet and sharp chisel. If
you have one, use a corner chisel to get nice square corners.

You can also flatten the wavy edges with a file/

ups.com...

[email protected] March 25th 07 02:47 AM

square hole with jigsaw

Let the saw do the work, ease it forward. No side to side motion. Use
plenty of lighting to watch the guidelines. Drill a hole in each
corner so you can turn the saw. Finer teeth on the blade may help.

Larry W March 25th 07 04:13 PM

square hole with jigsaw

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.