Jeff Wisnia

Default Square Hole Drills

Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that
sells square hole drills?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Duane Bozarth

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that
sells square hole drills?

I'm assuming you're talking of a mortising chisel? If not, I'm not sure
what you're asking about.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that sells
square hole drills?

Jeff

I'm not sure what you mean by square hole drills. I do know about mortise
drills that are readily available at any woodworking supply. Same thing or
similar?

Jeff Wisnia

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that sells
square hole drills?

Jeff

I'm not sure what you mean by square hole drills. I do know about mortise
drills that are readily available at any woodworking supply. Same thing or
similar?

No, I mean polygon drills, they've been around since the 19th century.

Here's a Brit company that sells them:

http://tinyurl.com/8wh7h

and a link to a Brit's hobby page showing one in use.

http://www.integerspin.co.uk/polygon.htm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

John McGaw

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that
sells square hole drills?

Jeff

Interesting. It does make me feel better about my own sanity that what
is being described is not a "square drill" but an entire system
including special floating chuck and guide plate that does the job. When
I first tried thinking about the concept of a "square drill" it was
about as easy to accept as "honest politician".

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

No, I mean polygon drills, they've been around since the 19th century.

Here's a Brit company that sells them:

http://tinyurl.com/8wh7h

and a link to a Brit's hobby page showing one in use.

http://www.integerspin.co.uk/polygon.htm

Jeff

Thanks for the links. I've never seen anything like that. You may find an
answer at one of the woodworking or metalcrafting newsgroups. I've never
seen them in a woodworking catalog or general tool catalog.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Harry K

John McGaw wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that
sells square hole drills?

Jeff

Interesting. It does make me feel better about my own sanity that what
is being described is not a "square drill" but an entire system
including special floating chuck and guide plate that does the job. When
I first tried thinking about the concept of a "square drill" it was
about as easy to accept as "honest politician".

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

Same here. I saw the title, says to self - must mean mortising chisel.
Rethink and decide to read it anyhow as I just might learn something.
I did.

Harry K

larry

Harry K wrote:

John McGaw wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Anybody know a source other than Watts Brothers in Pennsylvania that
sells square hole drills?

Jeff

Interesting. It does make me feel better about my own sanity that what
is being described is not a "square drill" but an entire system
including special floating chuck and guide plate that does the job. When
I first tried thinking about the concept of a "square drill" it was
about as easy to accept as "honest politician".

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

Same here. I saw the title, says to self - must mean mortising chisel.
Rethink and decide to read it anyhow as I just might learn something.
I did.

Harry K

machinist 101. I've collected many $5 bills with that bet.
drilling a square hole with a twist drill in the drill
press! and no arbor either.

unless someone gives it away, it'll cost you $5 before i
prove it ;-) (over they years, I've also taken pity and
gave the $5 back to the young kids just getting started, but
it does make them better machinists)

-larry / dallas
Harry K

larry wrote:
Harry K wrote:

John McGaw wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Ah yes, I know about that one.

Harry K

Rich

"larry" wrote in message
. net...
Harry K wrote:

John McGaw wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Fold a piece of paper in two put it between two pieces of stock and drill
the hole half the depth of the drills width! Take the paper out unfold it an
VIOLA a square hole. That'll be $2.50, weren't counting on competition were
you Larry? LOL

Rich

David Martel

Larry,

I'm confused by this. What I see looks like a variation on the router bit
and template sort of thing that is common in woodworking. Such tools make
holes that are "mostly" square but the corners are not crisp 90 deg. angles,
they are rounded. One finishes them with a chisel. How does this "polygonal"
drill achieve good corners?

Dave M.

kevin

This is like the wierdest drill application I've seen in a while, but
it's pretty obvious if you look at the page. Specifically, the bit
about the floating chuck. The drill bit is is sort of sharpened
triangule (three flutes, three cutting edges), but is allowed to wobble
(float) so that it is not held aligned with the rotation. As it
rotates, one cutting edge bangs into a corner of the metal template,
the other two edges swing around a quarter turn making a cut, until the
next cutting edge bangs into its corner. Just following the cutting
edge is a big lump, that acts as a sort of cam, or lever, so that as
the bit rotates, the bit floats from center and the opposite cutting
edge actually travels in a straight line, rather than an arc. You get
perfectly sharp corners, and can do this with any polygon with 4 sides
or more (each needs a bit with N-1 flutes, and a metal guide piece,
together with the floating chuck).

That's just about the worst explanation ever. You will have to look at
the picture, especially the showing the bit in a square frame.

Rotating chisel is a much better mindset for looking at it.

I wonder if you'd get a good edge if you came up with a mechanical
setup that would move the bit as though it were striking the guide?
Kinda like what drives the beaters in a big industrial mixer. Startup
would be a problem, but there are ways around that....

-Dave

Jeff Wisnia

Rich wrote:

snipped

Fold a piece of paper in two put it between two pieces of stock and drill
the hole half the depth of the drills width! Take the paper out unfold it an
VIOLA a square hole. That'll be $2.50, weren't counting on competition were
you Larry? LOL

Rich

I'd hadn't heard that one before, but I presume that you place the paper
between the two pieces of stock so that the folded edge of the paper and
the edges of the stock are all coplanar, center the drill over the the
folded paper edge and drill away.

What I don't understand is that Larry called it a "twist drill", which
evokes an image of a typical angled drill point, and I don't see how
that will result in a square hole in the paper. That'd give you a an
irregular six sided hole, wouldn't it?

Seems to me you'd need to sharpen the drill with a flat end, sort of
like an end mill to make the hole in the paper come out square.

Comments awaited,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Goedjn

Seems to me you'd need to sharpen the drill with a flat end, sort of
like an end mill to make the hole in the paper come out square.

Comments awaited,

Or sharpen it to 45 degrees, and don't drill past the cone.

Jeff Wisnia

Goedjn wrote:

Seems to me you'd need to sharpen the drill with a flat end, sort of
like an end mill to make the hole in the paper come out square.

Comments awaited,

Or sharpen it to 45 degrees, and don't drill past the cone.

Good reply!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

larry

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Goedjn wrote:

Seems to me you'd need to sharpen the drill with a flat end, sort of
like an end mill to make the hole in the paper come out square.

Comments awaited,

Or sharpen it to 45 degrees, and don't drill past the cone.

Good reply!

Jeff

flattening the end of the twist drill on grinder is first step.

paper is correct,

two blocks are correct.

most pay off with just the description, but a few are happy
to see the show for their money.

don't tell anyone else, i still need the money for my
retirement!

another of my favorite sayings for the near impossible tasks-

"that's about as easy as lighting a match on a wet bar of
soap" -still waiting for someone to prove it can be done,
rules- paper match, regular bath bar soap. (barn burner on
dry lava hand soap won't work either ;-)

have fun, we're only here once.

-larry / dallas