smyk

Default Hole in my basement wall

I own a 50 year old house in Eastern Canada. My house always had a
slight seepage in the basement. Not significant to cause an alarm but
annyoing enough to prompt me to do something about it.

Yesterday I pryed off old "finishing" (essentially plywood nailed to
framing studs) and discovered a hole in the basement wall. The hole is
wide an shallow. I'd say about 1.5" wide and about 3/4" high. I'm
fairly sure now that this hole is the source of my seepage. Like I
said, the seepage was never significant so the presence of the hole
could easily have caused it. I can't verify whether the hole goes to
the outside but it is at least five inches deep as I could stick my
entire finger in it. I suspect the hole goes all the way through the
wall.

My question is this. What caused the hole to appear in the first place?
Could it have eroded? It does not seem likely to me as the edges of the
hole seem quite sharp.

Is if realistic that the hole was gnawed by a norway rat or another
type of rodent? We had some rat-like poop in the basement but not near
the hole.

On 14 Apr 2005 20:07:16 -0700, in misc.consumers.house "smyk"
wrote:

I own a 50 year old house in Eastern Canada. My house always had a
slight seepage in the basement. Not significant to cause an alarm but
annyoing enough to prompt me to do something about it.

Yesterday I pryed off old "finishing" (essentially plywood nailed to
framing studs) and discovered a hole in the basement wall. The hole is
wide an shallow. I'd say about 1.5" wide and about 3/4" high. I'm
fairly sure now that this hole is the source of my seepage. Like I
said, the seepage was never significant so the presence of the hole
could easily have caused it. I can't verify whether the hole goes to
the outside but it is at least five inches deep as I could stick my
entire finger in it. I suspect the hole goes all the way through the
wall.

How big is your dick? Can you stick your dick all the way through to the other
side?
smyk

No. The feces was not tested. Pretty sure it was rat's fieces though.
I've dealt with rat infestations before and can recognize their
droppings. I just never heard of rats gnawing through a concrete wall.

Al Bundy

smyk wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a rod hole. When they pour the walls they hold the forms
together with rods and pull them after it sets up. Google the procedure
for fixing them. You probably have them every eight feet at 2' and 6'
from the floor.If it's not a rod hole the procedure for repairing is
the same.

smyk

probably not a rod hole as it's very near the basement floor. Actually
it looks exactly like a mouse/rat hole except it's in the basement and
I never heard of rodents being able to gnaw a hole in concrete.

Chuck Norris

smyk wrote:

probably not a rod hole as it's very near the basement floor. Actually
it looks exactly like a mouse/rat hole except it's in the basement and
I never heard of rodents being able to gnaw a hole in concrete.

if they did I'd run for the hills!
Michael Baugh

They went through the concrete wall to get dog food.
I've seen it several times.

oups.com...