Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default painting hardboard

Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

cc wrote:
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I'd use low cost, prefinished paneling.

Hard board will soak up a ton of paint and still look like crap.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

Yes you can paint the hardboard. My grand mother and brother in-law do
paintings on hardboard/Masonite, the smooth hardboards woul probably be the
easiest to paint and keep clean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
cc wrote:
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I'd use low cost, prefinished paneling.

Hard board will soak up a ton of paint and still look like crap.

Actually, artists use Masonite/hardboard to paint on, the smooth side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Actually, artists use Masonite/hardboard to paint on, the smooth side.

An artist's rendition might look neat on a drawer bottom, but wouldn't
expect it to wear very well.

Think I'll stick with the prefinished panel.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

We restore vintage travel trailers and some of our work has been done on
trailers from the thirties and forties which were originally skinned in
masonite and painted. We just prime and paint the replacement masonite. No
sanding required. The trailer on my home webpage is skinned in masonite with
a canvas covered roof! Check it out here. www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Good luck,

cm

"cc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in news:1173329553.614728.254650@
64g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I've done it... In fact the paint was a little wet the next day at the
train show. ;-)

Some materials you can get away with not priming before you paint, but
definately prime the hardboard. If your primer's naturally thicker, that
may be a good thing. (Don't apply a thick coat, that has a tendency to
chip and flake.)

I put two coats of white primer on the hardboard before I felt it was
ready for the sky blue. Remember, it's easier to go light to dark than
dark to light.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
Leon wrote:

Actually, artists use Masonite/hardboard to paint on, the smooth side.

An artist's rendition might look neat on a drawer bottom, but wouldn't
expect it to wear very well.

Think I'll stick with the prefinished panel.

Lew

But what a treat and surprise when you looked inside the drawer. LOL

Tiling Onto Hardboard John UK diy 6 February 9th 07 04:07 PM
painting hardboard RayV Woodworking 6 August 16th 06 03:22 AM
Tiling on to Hardboard Wall marnie UK diy 5 March 11th 06 04:16 PM
Not all 1/4 " hardboard is 1/4" tiredofspam Woodworking 11 January 25th 05 04:48 PM
Hardboard floorcovering Ren Hoek UK diy 1 November 25th 04 10:23 PM