Posted to rec.woodworking

Default painting hardboard

I'm just about done with some cubbies for the kids that will have
sliding bypass doors of hardboard. Never tried painting this stuff,
will standard primer and paint work or do I need something special?
Also has anyone tried the 'chalkboard' paint? I saw a display last
time I was at the Ben Moore store and wonder if it really works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
I'm just about done with some cubbies for the kids that will have
sliding bypass doors of hardboard. Never tried painting this stuff,
will standard primer and paint work or do I need something special?
Also has anyone tried the 'chalkboard' paint? I saw a display last
time I was at the Ben Moore store and wonder if it really works.

Primer is ok for the hardboard,just buy normal black matt for the
blackboard.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

My son used some of the chalkboard paint (Crayola!!) with great success
on a drywall. Just masked it for a nice edge. Worked great. In that
case, he also used an eggshell paint on the rest of the wall so it
could be easily cleaned with water.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Primer is ok for the hardboard,just buy normal black matt for the
blackboard.

Any need to sand of scuff the glossy side of the hardboard before
painting?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray,
Not really . . .

I use sheets of 1/8in and 1/4in for Drawing, or Routing, Templates. A
rolled on coat of water-based white primer only takes a few minutes, and
gives a surface that takes pencil very well - a fine 'matt'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Primer is ok for the hardboard,just buy normal black matt for the
blackboard.

Any need to sand of scuff the glossy side of the hardboard before
painting?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron Magen wrote:
Ray,
Not really . . .

I use sheets of 1/8in and 1/4in for Drawing, or Routing, Templates. A
rolled on coat of water-based white primer only takes a few minutes, and
gives a surface that takes pencil very well - a fine 'matt'.

Now that's a good idea! I've been thinking back to HS and trying to
google the stuff that covered the drafting tables to make up a table.
Hardboard seems like it is just the right hardness for drawing on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:46:43 -0700, RayV wrote:

Ron Magen wrote:
Ray,
Not really . . .

I use sheets of 1/8in and 1/4in for Drawing, or Routing, Templates. A
rolled on coat of water-based white primer only takes a few minutes, and
gives a surface that takes pencil very well - a fine 'matt'.

Now that's a good idea! I've been thinking back to HS and trying to
google the stuff that covered the drafting tables to make up a table.
Hardboard seems like it is just the right hardness for drawing on.

It's used in the art world all the time. Most good art stores carry
hardboard in various sized. It's used as a surface for painting and
drawing. You can even buy it pre-primed or Gessoed and ready for oil
paint.

D. G. Adams