Default Patching Hardboard Siding

I tried searching usenet for all variations of the subject, but it
appears I'm the first in internet history to ask this one.

I've got brick on 3 sides, and only 600 square feed of Masonite siding.
Most of that is fine, but down near the ground, where the water
splashes up, it's got a few rotted spots. Searching the web was an
effort in frustration because the siding scheisters have drowned-out
any meaningful search results.

Anyway, I don't want to or need to re-side the whole back of the house,
and I don't really want to remove a 8 foot board to repair a 1/2 inch
on the edge, or even 2 inches on the edge, or one soggy spot near an
overdriven nail head. There was one board on the bottom that was soft
all along the bottom, and I pulled that one off (used recyprocating saw
parallel to the face of the bad board and under the board above to cut
through nails, and used the circular saw to cut vertically through the
bad board, since only 4 of the 12 feet was bad).

But what I want to do is find someone (there must be someone) who has
fixed hardboard lap siding (spot repair), and to learn about their
technique.

What I have done works, but it's pretty painful, and I'm not sure how
long it will last. Here's what I did... I scraped the wet/rotted
portion out, then filled it with Elmers wood filler. Since it was a
thick mass of filler, I put shims behind, and wood filler on top of
that. Then, since it was so thick, I waited a long time (days) for it
to dry, then removed excess by using a wood rasp. Then I filled again,
sanded again, filled again, sanded again...well, you get the picture,
it's a pain. If the patch was near the corner board, I caulked it with
GE XST. Otherwise I just painted.

But I figured that someone would have a more efficient technique to
handle the occasional rotten spot on hardboard siding.

--Dale--

patch masonite siding
repair masonite siding
fix masonite siding
patching masonite siding
repairing masonite siding
fixing masonite siding
patch hardboard siding
repair hardboard siding
fix hardboard siding
patching hardboard siding
repairing hardboard siding
fixing hardboard siding

There! Now when somebody googles what I tried, they'll at least get my
post, and know they're not the only one!

Brian

I did exactly same thing, filled damaged portion with exterior
wood filler, removed excess immediatly, used heat gun to dry it up.

We had woodpecker that destroyed 2 boards, one of the dozen
holes was 3" wide. Woodfiller + heat gun + drywall knife + one coat
of paint and we had miracle in 2 hours.

My wife even couldn't tell where those holes were.

Brian

Chuck

On 14 Oct 2005 20:28:08 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Masonite has a a lawsuit payout for damages under certain conditions..
check google for +Masonite+"class action"

They make Bondo for this type siding repair

Bused heat gun to dry it up

That's good thinking. I've gotta get me one of those.

CMasonite has a a lawsuit payout for damages under certain conditions

Yeah, I saw that. I didn't dig really deeply into it, but it looked
like my house was build outside of the date range.

BThey make Bondo for this type siding repair

I saw the Bondo, but for whatever reason, walked-off with the Elmer's
exerior filler.

Thanks guys!!

--Dale--

Posted to alt.home.repair

bigdog had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ing-41347-.htm
:
Ditto your comment about finding useful advice on this problem on the net.
I am facing a similar problem and looking for a solution. Based on my
general experience with home repairs, here is what I plan to do.

The rotted "masonite" is part of a 4 x 8 (approx) exterior wall panel. It
has rotted for about 2 - 6 inches along the bottom of the panel where it
meets a facing board at the base of the first floor above the stone
veneer. I will cut out the rotten area so that I have solid material to
butt new material against. I will then install a strip of 6" x 4'
material of either a cementitous fiber board or exterior paneling board of
some kind. I will seal the joint where the two butt together with caulk
(latex since silicon may not hold the paint I need to apply later). I
will put the caulk on the edges of the two sides of the joint so that it
is in the joint, not just on top of it. Because the panel board imitates
a stucco finish, I will use Bondo or another auto body fiber filler to
trowel on in sweeps to imitate the existing finish. Getting this right
will be the hardest part, I think. Once I have the joint sealed with the
bondo and the texture matched, all I should need to do is match the paint
with a couple of coats to seal it good. If it was a small spot, using
something like wood filler could work, but my areas are too large for that
approach. Anyone with suggestions is welcome to email me at
.

From the Big Dog

wrote:

[...]

The dog weighs in.