Posted to alt.home.repair
bigdog bigdog is offline

Default Patching Hardboard Siding

bigdog had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ing-41347-.htm
:
Ditto your comment about finding useful advice on this problem on the net.
I am facing a similar problem and looking for a solution. Based on my
general experience with home repairs, here is what I plan to do.

The rotted "masonite" is part of a 4 x 8 (approx) exterior wall panel. It
has rotted for about 2 - 6 inches along the bottom of the panel where it
meets a facing board at the base of the first floor above the stone
veneer. I will cut out the rotten area so that I have solid material to
butt new material against. I will then install a strip of 6" x 4'
material of either a cementitous fiber board or exterior paneling board of
some kind. I will seal the joint where the two butt together with caulk
(latex since silicon may not hold the paint I need to apply later). I
will put the caulk on the edges of the two sides of the joint so that it
is in the joint, not just on top of it. Because the panel board imitates
a stucco finish, I will use Bondo or another auto body fiber filler to
trowel on in sweeps to imitate the existing finish. Getting this right
will be the hardest part, I think. Once I have the joint sealed with the
bondo and the texture matched, all I should need to do is match the paint
with a couple of coats to seal it good. If it was a small spot, using
something like wood filler could work, but my areas are too large for that
approach. Anyone with suggestions is welcome to email me at
.

From the Big Dog

wrote:

I tried searching usenet for all variations of the subject, but it
appears I'm the first in internet history to ask this one.

I've got brick on 3 sides, and only 600 square feed of Masonite siding.
Most of that is fine, but down near the ground, where the water
splashes up, it's got a few rotted spots. Searching the web was an
effort in frustration because the siding scheisters have drowned-out
any meaningful search results.

--Dale--

patch masonite siding
repair masonite siding
fix masonite siding
patching masonite siding
repairing masonite siding
fixing masonite siding
patch hardboard siding
repair hardboard siding
fix hardboard siding
patching hardboard siding
repairing hardboard siding
fixing hardboard siding

There! Now when somebody googles what I tried, they'll at least get my
post, and know they're not the only one!

The dog weighs in.

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/