Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default painting hardboard

"cc" wrote in news:1173329553.614728.254650@
64g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I've done it... In fact the paint was a little wet the next day at the
train show. ;-)

Some materials you can get away with not priming before you paint, but
definately prime the hardboard. If your primer's naturally thicker, that
may be a good thing. (Don't apply a thick coat, that has a tendency to
chip and flake.)

I put two coats of white primer on the hardboard before I felt it was
ready for the sky blue. Remember, it's easier to go light to dark than
dark to light.

Puckdropper