DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   painting hardboard (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/194412-painting-hardboard.html)

cc March 8th 07 04:52 AM

painting hardboard

Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

Lew Hodgett March 8th 07 04:56 AM

painting hardboard

cc wrote:
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I'd use low cost, prefinished paneling.

Hard board will soak up a ton of paint and still look like crap.

Lew

Leon March 8th 07 05:16 AM

painting hardboard

"cc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

Yes you can paint the hardboard. My grand mother and brother in-law do
paintings on hardboard/Masonite, the smooth hardboards woul probably be the
easiest to paint and keep clean.

Leon March 8th 07 05:18 AM

painting hardboard

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
cc wrote:
Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I'd use low cost, prefinished paneling.

Hard board will soak up a ton of paint and still look like crap.

Actually, artists use Masonite/hardboard to paint on, the smooth side.

Lew Hodgett March 8th 07 06:01 AM

painting hardboard

Leon wrote:

Actually, artists use Masonite/hardboard to paint on, the smooth side.

An artist's rendition might look neat on a drawer bottom, but wouldn't
expect it to wear very well.

Think I'll stick with the prefinished panel.

Lew

cm March 8th 07 07:03 AM

painting hardboard

We restore vintage travel trailers and some of our work has been done on
trailers from the thirties and forties which were originally skinned in
masonite and painted. We just prime and paint the replacement masonite. No
sanding required. The trailer on my home webpage is skinned in masonite with
a canvas covered roof! Check it out here. www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Good luck,

cm

ups.com...

Puckdropper March 8th 07 08:50 AM

painting hardboard

"cc" wrote in news:1173329553.614728.254650@
64g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

Using 1/8" dark brown hardboard as drawer bottom for very small
drawers with little load..color is too dark(brown)..can you paint
hardboard and will it stick to the slick surface? Assume a slight
sanding to rough the surface and enamel paint will work..anyone tried
this?

I've done it... In fact the paint was a little wet the next day at the
train show. ;-)

Some materials you can get away with not priming before you paint, but
definately prime the hardboard. If your primer's naturally thicker, that
may be a good thing. (Don't apply a thick coat, that has a tendency to
chip and flake.)

I put two coats of white primer on the hardboard before I felt it was
ready for the sky blue. Remember, it's easier to go light to dark than
dark to light.

Puckdropper

Leon March 8th 07 01:45 PM

painting hardboard

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
Leon wrote:

Actually, artists use Masonite/hardboard to paint on, the smooth side.

An artist's rendition might look neat on a drawer bottom, but wouldn't
expect it to wear very well.

Think I'll stick with the prefinished panel.

Lew

But what a treat and surprise when you looked inside the drawer. LOL