Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling Onto Hardboard

I am just about finished tiling my neighbours En-Suite. I am boxing in the
waste pipes and have used 4" x 1" for the upright bits and I am looking for
something for the top. It measures 1.25 m my 90mm and will not be taking
any weight. Can I use hardboard (rough side up) to tile onto or will the
adhesive cause swelling problems? I am asking because I have some hardboard
in my garage and if is will be OK I do not need to make a trip to Been &
Queued in the morning. Would it be better to use 'No Nails' to fix these
few tiles or is that a no no?

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I am just about finished tiling my neighbours En-Suite. I am boxing in the
waste pipes and have used 4" x 1" for the upright bits and I am looking for
something for the top. It measures 1.25 m my 90mm and will not be taking
any weight. Can I use hardboard (rough side up) to tile onto or will the
adhesive cause swelling problems? I am asking because I have some hardboard
in my garage and if is will be OK I do not need to make a trip to Been &
Queued in the morning. Would it be better to use 'No Nails' to fix these
few tiles or is that a no no?

Hardboard is really a little too flimsy to tile onto. You'd be much
better off using 1/2" ply or MDF.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
John wrote:
I am just about finished tiling my neighbours En-Suite. I am boxing in
the waste pipes and have used 4" x 1" for the upright bits and I am
looking for something for the top. It measures 1.25 m my 90mm and will
not be taking any weight. Can I use hardboard (rough side up) to tile
onto or will the adhesive cause swelling problems? I am asking because I
have some hardboard in my garage and if is will be OK I do not need to
make a trip to Been & Queued in the morning. Would it be better to use
'No Nails' to fix these few tiles or is that a no no?

Hardboard is really a little too flimsy to tile onto. You'd be much better
off using 1/2" ply or MDF.

Thanks for the reply but in this situation ( 4 foot long x 3 1/2" wide
strip) I think 1/2" ply or MDF would be overkill. I can go purchase 3 or
4mm ply but I have hardboard in the garage and was trying to save a trip out
in the morning.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 18:22, "John" wrote:
Can I use hardboard (rough side up) to tile onto

I wouldn't in general as it's too bendy under load and it's too likely
to warp into a curve. It's not the exposure to water from being in a
bathroom, it's just the mechanical flimsiness. I'd use Viroc
Versapanel (because my local shop has it) or one of the similar cement-
based boards.

For something this size though, I can't see a problem with hardboard.
After all, it's not plasterboard - which really would be too flimsy
and damp-sensitive.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

If your 4 x 1 uprights cover the whole 4ft length, you'll have 2 edges
to stick the tiles to. You may not need anything across the top, but
it's a nice little ledge for glass bottles and things, which will crack
the tiles if dropped. Hardboard is really no good at all but I suppose
you could glue 3 or 4 pieces together if it's quicker than going to B&Q

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I am just about finished tiling my neighbours En-Suite. I am boxing in the
waste pipes and have used 4" x 1" for the upright bits and I am looking for
something for the top. It measures 1.25 m my 90mm and will not be taking
any weight. Can I use hardboard (rough side up) to tile onto or will the
adhesive cause swelling problems? I am asking because I have some hardboard
in my garage and if is will be OK I do not need to make a trip to Been &
Queued in the morning. Would it be better to use 'No Nails' to fix these
few tiles or is that a no no?

Cheers

John

I would normally fake that up from scarp cip.pluyy, bits of old kitchen
units and spare bits of MDF, or even plasterboard.

Hardboard never. No stiffness. The tiles will crack off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normaly I would never use hard board, but in this instance it is such
a narrow strip and it sound like it will be quite stiff so I think you
would get away with it and yes you could use a no nails glue.

painting hardboard RayV Woodworking 6 August 16th 06 03:22 AM
Tiling on to Hardboard Wall marnie UK diy 5 March 11th 06 04:16 PM
Hardboard between joists and flooring Mr Fizzion UK diy 4 September 19th 05 10:16 AM
Not all 1/4 " hardboard is 1/4" tiredofspam Woodworking 11 January 25th 05 04:48 PM
Hardboard floorcovering Ren Hoek UK diy 1 November 25th 04 10:23 PM