Posted to uk.d-i-y
marnie

Default Tiling on to Hardboard Wall

Can anyone help. I have a hardboard wall and have twice put ceramic
tiles (big ones that match the rest of the bathroom) on to it. Each
time they have slid off. Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some
way. Is there a special glue.

Not tiling the wall is not an option at the moment.

Bes

Marnie

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 10 Mar 2006 10:21:12 -0800, marnie wrote:

Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some
way. Is there a special glue.

First you need to brace the wall, hardboard is too flexible. Then coat
with PVA 1:3 and allow to dry before tiling.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

marnie wrote:
Can anyone help. I have a hardboard wall and have twice put ceramic
tiles (big ones that match the rest of the bathroom) on to it. Each
time they have slid off. Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some
way. Is there a special glue.

Not tiling the wall is not an option at the moment.

Bes

Marnie

Scrub the HB with the roughest sandpaper you can aquire.
In reality though, HB is not an ideal surface to try and tile to.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

marnie wrote:
Can anyone help. I have a hardboard wall and have twice put ceramic
tiles (big ones that match the rest of the bathroom) on to it. Each
time they have slid off. Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some
way. Is there a special glue.

OK, do you *really* mean hardboard? If so, that's really not an
acceptable substrate - far too flexible for a start. Is this a stud
partition wall, or what? Let's have some more details of the scenario
and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
marnie wrote:
Can anyone help. I have a hardboard wall and have twice put ceramic
tiles (big ones that match the rest of the bathroom) on to it. Each
time they have slid off. Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some
way. Is there a special glue.

Not tiling the wall is not an option at the moment.

Bes

Marnie

Scrub the HB with the roughest sandpaper you can aquire.

All large tiles will creep down the wall under their own weight,
roughened wall or not. Best to batten the wall and tile upwards.

In reality though, HB is not an ideal surface to try and tile to.

Does he really mean hardboard I wonder ..

P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

marnie wrote:
Can anyone help. I have a hardboard wall and have twice put ceramic
tiles (big ones that match the rest of the bathroom) on to it. Each
time they have slid off. Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some
way. Is there a special glue.

Not tiling the wall is not an option at the moment.

Don't tile over hardboard, it doesn't work, people put hardboard up to avoid
having a wall plastered or dry lined, as you have already found out, it's
false economy given that you'll have to re-tile it every twelve months
instead of just using plasterboard once and then it's finished.

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Ownership 5 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Tiling - Wall Tiles or Floor Tiles first Charles Gregory UK diy 1 January 17th 04 09:31 AM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Ownership 25 October 26th 03 01:53 PM