Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestions for making a drawer organizer

All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look like an
arial view of Dresden during the war.

Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do the trick,
and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked with wood at the
fundamental level only, construction level repairs, and gluing and clamping
chairs, and everything else "easy".

Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for customized
drawers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:20:41 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look like an
arial view of Dresden during the war.

Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do the trick,
and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked with wood at the
fundamental level only, construction level repairs, and gluing and clamping
chairs, and everything else "easy".

Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for customized
drawers?

Here's one simple concept
http://pages.areaguides.com/ubuild/Builtinsdrawerorganizer.htm.

Sam Allen has another in
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Kitchen-Cabinet-Accessories-Organizers/dp/0806957867/sr=1-11/qid=1172234511/ref=sr_1_11/002-5925614-1035224?ie=UTF8&s=books

And you can make them in layers--the fourth project in
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1558707743/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-5925614-1035224#reader-link
shows how to do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:t_ADh.32364$2w.9990@trndny09...

All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look like an
arial view of Dresden during the war.

Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do the

trick,
and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked with wood at the
fundamental level only, construction level repairs, and gluing and

clamping
chairs, and everything else "easy".

Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for customized
drawers?

Sounds like an "operator problem".

Check out the link below ... they're very intuitive to make if you don't
want to buy, or buy a set and use them as guides to do your own:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=2298

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
| All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look
| like an arial view of Dresden during the war.
|
| Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do
| the trick, and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked
| with wood at the fundamental level only, construction level
| repairs, and gluing and clamping chairs, and everything else "easy".
|
| Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for
| customized drawers?

Make your own organizer trays. Lay 'em out to hold what you have in
the way you want. I've built several designs out of 1/4" and 1/2"
maple and found it to work well. For a really unimaginative simple
design, follow the link below...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

If there is a Lowes near you go look at a magazine just in called Home
Storage Projects by Workbench Magazine. It has plans for adaptable
drawer storage made from 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch stock. You can purchase
this as 'hobby' wood from Lowes or other places. No gluing as the
pieces all interlock. You will need some way to cut dados and slots.

On Feb 23, 6:20 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look like an
arial view of Dresden during the war.

Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do the trick,
and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked with wood at the
fundamental level only, construction level repairs, and gluing and clamping
chairs, and everything else "easy".

Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for customized
drawers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look at this link:

http://www.geocities.com/herkidzdad/divider.jpg

I went to Home Depot and bought some hobby wood that was 1/4 to 3/8 of
an inch thick and about 4 or 5 inches in width ( I matched the depth of
the drawer)

You lay out your pattern, measure the lengths, and just put them in the
drawer. I laid mine out so the tension of the boards against one
another would hold them in place. It worked for a while and then
eventually they would move and mess up. So I went back and reinstalled
them using a hot glue gun to hold them together, which has worked now
for over a year.

A hot glue gun is much faster than cutting slots or dados.

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look like an
arial view of Dresden during the war.

Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do the trick,
and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked with wood at the
fundamental level only, construction level repairs, and gluing and clamping
chairs, and everything else "easy".

Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for customized
drawers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Wo...workbench.html

Second picture down is my concept of perfect drawer organization.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 8:27 am, Steve Hall
wrote:
http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Wo...workbench.html

Second picture down is my concept of perfect drawer organization.

A neat shop is a sign of a sick mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:24:10 -0800, Father Haskell wrote:
On Feb 24, 8:27 am, Steve Hall wrote:

http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Wo...workbench.html

Second picture down is my concept of perfect drawer organization.

A neat shop is a sign of a sick mind.

Of course; I said "concept" because my real shop bears no resemblance.