Posted to rec.woodworking
mapdude mapdude is offline

Default Suggestions for making a drawer organizer

Look at this link:

http://www.geocities.com/herkidzdad/divider.jpg

I went to Home Depot and bought some hobby wood that was 1/4 to 3/8 of
an inch thick and about 4 or 5 inches in width ( I matched the depth of
the drawer)

You lay out your pattern, measure the lengths, and just put them in the
drawer. I laid mine out so the tension of the boards against one
another would hold them in place. It worked for a while and then
eventually they would move and mess up. So I went back and reinstalled
them using a hot glue gun to hold them together, which has worked now
for over a year.

A hot glue gun is much faster than cutting slots or dados.

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

All the drawers in my kitchen are without organization and look like an
arial view of Dresden during the war.

Non of the flatware drawer organizers that I've found seem to do the trick,
and I would love to make one of my own. I've worked with wood at the
fundamental level only, construction level repairs, and gluing and clamping
chairs, and everything else "easy".

Are there any suggestions, save for hiring a carpenter for customized
drawers?