Mark and Kim Smith

Default Suggestions for making a "ring"

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

Charles Spitzer

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

round picture frames are typically made in pieces, and joined together with
splines or some such.

Dave Hinz

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade.

Two thoughts:

1. Lathe and faceplate.
2. Router and templates.

Dave Hinz

Juergen Hannappel

Dave Hinz writes:

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade.

Two thoughts:

1. Lathe and faceplate.

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:05:09 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:
Dave Hinz writes:

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

Two thoughts:
1. Lathe and faceplate.

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...

OK, I'll freely admit that I misread this. BUT - a lathe head has
two sides, does it not? If the centerline of the spindle is more than
2' off the floor, then you can turn something as big as you want. Need
a spindle that is drilled through and some creativity, but it could be done.

Mark and Kim Smith

Dave Hinz writes:

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

Two thoughts:
1. Lathe and faceplate.

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...

OK, I'll freely admit that I misread this. BUT - a lathe head has
two sides, does it not? If the centerline of the spindle is more than
2' off the floor, then you can turn something as big as you want. Need
a spindle that is drilled through and some creativity, but it could be done.

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Mark and Kim Smith

Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

round picture frames are typically made in pieces, and joined together with
splines or some such.

Yup! 20" pieces, eight of them, 22.5 degree cut on each end, to be
joined I have two of these rings to make, so 16 pieces, total. Think
I'll have some degree accuracy if I cut the inner curve before assembly
then bandsaw the outer curve after?

Charles Spitzer

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

if it were me, i'd glue them into 4 semicircles, dry join 2 together, draw
out the 2 circles, split it back into halves, and then cut the inside and
outsides on the bandsaw. repeat.

Dave Hinz

On 27 Jul 2004 14:02:53 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, I'll freely admit that I misread this. BUT - a lathe head has
two sides, does it not? If the centerline of the spindle is more than
2' off the floor, then you can turn something as big as you want.

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Actually, I just did something similar to this with a router. Need a 4'
hole in a floor (fire station, opening for a pole). I took a piece of
plywood, nailed through that into the center point of the future hole,
and used that as a compass-type tool to swing the router around while
holding a constant distance from the center point (e.g. a circle). You
could do that, start with the outside one, then change the distance to
do the inside one. No muss, no fuss, no template even. Circles,
those are easy. Does that work for you?

Dave Hinz

Mark and Kim Smith

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

I think we have a winner! Although I think I'll still bandsaw the
outside one as it will actually be easier than the router. I'm
reclaiming some redwood and I'm trying to minimize the amount of
machined surfaces so I can keep that nice weathered / silvery finish.
Plus, the bandsaw will leave a slightly rough surface that will,
hopefully, age quickly. Thanks for the help!! Mark

George

Router and center point for me. Common enough use for a router to be in
almost all the books. I've done the bandsaw for outsides, jig works fine.
Trouble is, you're still going to have to spokeshave or belt sand the edges
anyway, with the problem of flat spots. Router leaves a nice edge, and
doesn't care if it's making a hollow octagon round or a huge slab into a
donut.

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Mark and Kim Smith

Waterwheel. So having the inside smooth is fine as the bottom of the
buckets will attach there. Outside rough is fine and preferred. Router
and center point it is! Thanks!

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer

circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Pat Barber

A "routah" with a circle cutting jig is what you want/need.

Home made from 1/4" plywood or store bought made out
of plastic.

A straight cutting bit and a base that can be
cut into(like mdf) and you will be in business.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

Bill Rogers

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

What material? What purpose? Plywood? Cut with a jigsaw, and then
file. You won't see the flaws driving past at 40. Good wood for fine
furniture? Cut close with a jigsaw, then finish with a router, guided
from the outside edge.

Bill.

Chris Melanson

Just use a router with a 1/2 inch straight bit set it up on a 6 inch
wide board with the bit centered at 3 Inch from the edge and side of the
board. Then measure back 24 inch from the inside of the bit and 14inch from
the out side of the bit drill two holes on these marks then use the same
drill bit and drill a hole in the center of a 48 by 48 sheet of ply or MDF
cut your outer circle first and then your inter circle do not cut all the
way through the material leave about 1/8 th of an inch then cut out with a
jig saw and trim down with a flush trim bit.
Always use the radius of a circle to cut one with this method.A good
rule of thumb is always convert any measurement under 12 feet to inches only
and you will avoid a lot of mistakes.

Chris

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:19:38 -0700, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

Mark, Be careful when routing the inside of the ring. Tape blocks or dowels
in as you go or double stick tape the ring to a scrap to hold it secure.
Dave

make the first pass or three end up cutting about 3/4 of the way
through. then cut down the middle of the route with a jigsaw and
finish the cut with a flush trom bit in the router.

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer

circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Mark and Kim Smith

Thanks Dave! I'll actually have the spokes in place. I'll route just
shy of the spokes and finish over them with a utility knife. The router
will do more of a trim job than anything. No moving or binding of major
pieces will be involved. Here is the building the waterwheel will be
installed on. Bottom photo, left side of "mill."
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond6.htm Neighbor got a new fence, I got
the redwood to reclaim for the mill, water wheel, bait shack, etc, etc!
Grist mill is 6'x6', 6' tall and , as stated, the water wheel is 4'
diameter.

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer

circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Joe Gorman

wrote:

Dave Hinz writes:

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade.

Two thoughts:

1. Lathe and faceplate.

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...

Listen, if your lathe doesn't have a 4 foot swing you're not a REAL
woodworker.g

Yes, but it would be so much easier to put that 28" bit in the drill press:-)
Joe

TeamCasa

Mark and Kim, That looks like a fun project!

I just hope your not the ones responsible for breeding the West Nile
carrying mosquitoes!

Dave

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer

circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the

center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Mark and Kim Smith

That's a myth about ponds! The water may attract mosquitos, but the
fish eat the larvae faster than the bugs can lay eggs. Especially the
specialized Mosquito Fish. Free food for the fishies! So lay all you
want, West Nile! But you can't win here!!

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer

circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the

center

that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Joe Gorman

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message
woodworker.g

Yes, but it would be so much easier to put that 28" bit in the drill

press:-)

Joe

Damn, I knew I should have made the new shed^H^Hop doors wider. Now it
won't fit:-(
Joe

Tim Douglass

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:51:14 -0700, "CW" no adddress@spam free.com
wrote:

Need to turn something big?
http://www.emachinetool.com/used/cat...roductID=11075

I wonder if they take PayPal?

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Rick Schmalzried

I know a lot of people have replied already, and I haven't read all of
the replys so I apologize if this is a duplicate, but why can't you
use a circle jig with your router. It is really pretty simple.
Basically a compass for the router...Probably what you are doing for
your bandsaw, just substitute a router bit for the bandsaw blade and
turn the jig upside down.

Take something such as a 1x4 (in this case about 30" long), pick out
a router bushing, drill a hole near the end of the 1x4 to fit the OD
of the bushing. Now pick out a straight bit for the router, (a
carbide spiral bit works well) such as a 1/2" diameter. Use a nail
for the center point at the appropriate distance to give the desired
radius. (Make sure to watch which edge of the bit you measure from.

3 passes on your material and you should have a perfect circle.

--Rick

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

When is a ring circuit not a ring circuit? Fitz UK diy 4 July 28th 04 12:53 AM
Adding Socketds Roger UK diy 9 March 18th 04 12:47 AM
Ring mains and consumer unit David UK diy 2 January 14th 04 05:36 PM
Unique Spoon Ring *please help!* J Metalworking 2 January 8th 04 06:06 PM
Is my main socket ring too big? Paul UK diy 24 November 25th 03 10:03 PM