Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I finally have a gloat!!!

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more
than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I
asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they
weren't changing it.

"JimAndy" wrote in message
Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JimAndy" wrote in message

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience
HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes
on the other hand seems to mark down things at random.
I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that
retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either
similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because
I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Over Christmas my Dad went down to HD in Florida and saw a 24 volt Rigid kit
(Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Circular Saw, batteries and charger etc)
that was marked as $317, so he snagged it up fast. A few weeks later when I
got to Florida we went down to HD and they had two in their clearance pile
for $497, I threw one in the cart but 1/2 way around the store we noticed 5
kits sitting by themselves. After looking through all five one still had the
$317 sticker on it. After some talking with the cashier and a manager I
managed to snag the same kit for $317. Sometimes it's the right place at the
right time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JimAndy" wrote in message

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience
HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes
on the other hand seems to mark down things at random.
I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that
retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either
similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because
I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan- Hide quoted text -

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Vise-----

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:
Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Lose - to misplace
Loose - opposite of tight

Sale - an event for the exchange of goods
Sell - the act of exchanging goods for currency
Sail - cloth that moves a boat with wind power or the act of moving a boat with
wind power

Advise - to offer advice
Advice - a plan of action offered to or by others

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news

Lose - to misplace

Rhymes with 'booze'

Loose - opposite of tight

Rhymes with 'goose'

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JimAndy" wrote in message

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience
HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes
on the other hand seems to mark down things at random.
I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that
retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either
similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because
I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan- Hide quoted text -

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Vise-----

Thank you Commander English.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

And a vice worth having will cost far more than 20 bucks in your life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your grammar,
when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember anyone
asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my
tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street. A
few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always joke
that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is burnin"
they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer to
spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it
"correctly".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more
than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I
asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they
weren't changing it.

Imagine the surprise of looking at the display unit marked "Made in
Germany", getting home and seeing "Made in China", on the one you bought.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

On Feb 21, 4:23 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more
than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I
asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they
weren't changing it.

Imagine the surprise of looking at the display unit marked "Made in
Germany", getting home and seeing "Made in China", on the one you bought.

Can you say "bait and switch"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Indeed a good gloat, I remember when I was in need of a hand held planer. I
went shopping one night, and after going to the HD, Sears, and Lowe's I was
not ready to part with $100 for me to use it for 10 minutes. But while
looking in the aisle's at Lowe's I stumbled upon the very out of sight
clearance section and low and behold they had a few B&D's on clearance for
$19. I don't use it that much but it does a fine job when I do.

Allen
"JimAndy" wrote in message
Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gloat? How about acts of kindness and appreciation rewarded?

Update - Removing fire smoke smell .... from furniture.

In appreciation for the lady allowing (our upholstery class) me the
opportunity to salvage antique furniture from her burned warehouse, I
elected to restore (woodwork) and reupholster a bergere chair she had
at school. Our teacher told her what I was doing. The lady called me
and told me she would allow me into her other warehouse and select
whatever else I may want. She mentioned that she had 2 Hepplewhite
dining sets and that I should consider getting one of them. She gave
me the impression I would not be limited to selecting just one item.
The bergere chair is beginning to look sharp, again.

She visited us, at school, yesterday (Friday) and asked if I would
reupholster her car.... she, insisting on being a regular paying
customer. Note: We are not allowed monetary pay for school related
projects (assignments), however we are able, if advanced enough, to
accept outside jobs. Many people get to know our personal work,
during school, before we become certified, and trust, us, in our
growing ability for private work. I had restored/reupholstered a
bergere chair and matching stool, of my own, last semester, and she
knew my work with that.

I seem to have scored thrice: It pays to show kindness and
appreciation to someone (large returns when least expected), I think I
have an excellent reference for future upholstery work, and I have
some really nice gifts (of salvaged antique furniture, plus more that
has been offered).

Sonny