Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I finally have a gloat!!!

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more
than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I
asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they
weren't changing it.

"JimAndy" wrote in message
Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JimAndy" wrote in message

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience
HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes
on the other hand seems to mark down things at random.
I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that
retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either
similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because
I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Over Christmas my Dad went down to HD in Florida and saw a 24 volt Rigid kit
(Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Circular Saw, batteries and charger etc)
that was marked as $317, so he snagged it up fast. A few weeks later when I
got to Florida we went down to HD and they had two in their clearance pile
for $497, I threw one in the cart but 1/2 way around the store we noticed 5
kits sitting by themselves. After looking through all five one still had the
$317 sticker on it. After some talking with the cashier and a manager I
managed to snag the same kit for $317. Sometimes it's the right place at the
right time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JimAndy" wrote in message

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience
HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes
on the other hand seems to mark down things at random.
I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that
retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either
similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because
I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan- Hide quoted text -

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Vise-----

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more
than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I
asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they
weren't changing it.

Imagine the surprise of looking at the display unit marked "Made in
Germany", getting home and seeing "Made in China", on the one you bought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:
Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Lose - to misplace
Loose - opposite of tight

Sale - an event for the exchange of goods
Sell - the act of exchanging goods for currency
Sail - cloth that moves a boat with wind power or the act of moving a boat with
wind power

Advise - to offer advice
Advice - a plan of action offered to or by others

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news

Lose - to misplace

Rhymes with 'booze'

Loose - opposite of tight

Rhymes with 'goose'

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

On Feb 21, 4:23 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more
than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I
asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they
weren't changing it.

Imagine the surprise of looking at the display unit marked "Made in
Germany", getting home and seeing "Made in China", on the one you bought.

Can you say "bait and switch"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Indeed a good gloat, I remember when I was in need of a hand held planer. I
went shopping one night, and after going to the HD, Sears, and Lowe's I was
not ready to part with $100 for me to use it for 10 minutes. But while
looking in the aisle's at Lowe's I stumbled upon the very out of sight
clearance section and low and behold they had a few B&D's on clearance for
$19. I don't use it that much but it does a fine job when I do.

Allen
"JimAndy" wrote in message
Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JimAndy" wrote in message

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience
HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes
on the other hand seems to mark down things at random.
I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that
retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either
similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because
I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan- Hide quoted text -

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Vise-----

Thank you Commander English.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption
Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

And a vice worth having will cost far more than 20 bucks in your life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your grammar,
when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember anyone
asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my
tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street. A
few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always joke
that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is burnin"
they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer to
spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it
"correctly".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 6:51 am, "HotRdd" wrote:

AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your grammar,
when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember anyone
asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my
tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street. A
few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always joke
that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is burnin"
they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer to
spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it
"correctly".

HOWEVER, unless you are "blessed" with supreme self-confidence, and
don't give a hoot what people think of you, you'd better pay a bit of
attention to your spelling and grammar, because what you say and how
you say it affect the opinions of others as to your intelligence.
However unfair that may be, you might be "loosing" out on
opportunities because you appear to be unworthy of further attention.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

I've had bosses like that, and learned early on to ask something
like, "It this what you mean?". Sometimes it takes 3-4 times before it
becomes clear what they want. Even then, sometimes they'll still come
back later and give you the old, "I know that's what I said, but that's
not what I meant".

IME, you had better ask ALL women, as well as most clients/bosses.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wisely observed

"J T" wrote in message

I've had bosses like that, and learned early on to ask something
like, "It this what you mean?". Sometimes it takes 3-4 times before it
becomes clear what they want. Even then, sometimes they'll still come
back later and give you the old, "I know that's what I said, but that's
not what I meant".

IME, you had better ask ALL women, as well as most clients/bosses.

Doncha ya know Swingman, that the wimmenfolk expect all us guyz to be
PSYCHIC!!

And if we are not, it is just another failing on our part.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 10:16 am, wrote:
On Feb 23, 6:51 am, "HotRdd" wrote:

[...]

While this is true, I do have a problem with people showing up in a
discussion in progress simply to correct someone, and contribute
nothing else. I admit I misspelled vise. If I could have edited the
entry, I would have, but this format doesn't allow that.

As it is, my meaning was quite clear, and issuing a corrective message
in that manner is pretty much the equivalent of intellictual
masturbation in my opinion. There's only one person it pleases, and it
gets the thread all messy.

Anyways, that's all I have to say on this subject because I really do
try to avoid "internet arguments." I would LOVE to read other people
gloating about deals they've scored, though.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

N Hurst wrote:
While this is true, I do have a problem with people showing up in a
discussion in progress simply to correct someone, and contribute
nothing else. I admit I misspelled vise. If I could have edited the
entry, I would have, but this format doesn't allow that.

I'm one who values spelling and grammar on the internet simply because it's the
only measure I have of your intelligence. We have never met nor are we likely
to in the future. You might be a very talented guy but all I can see of you is
what you write.

I say this knowing full well I misspell and mistype words regularly... but I try
to present my best front to he world. Sometimes excitement precludes me editing
my comments before I send them on their way.

I've been corrected by others before and my usual emotion is embarassment. The
only reply necessary is either a "oops" statement or none at all. These
corrections aren't just aimed at you, btw. The "vise/vise, sale/sell", etc
mistakes are very common. Every now and then it just bubbles over. G

Sorry... I'll get off the soap box now.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry for the RANT

Unfortunately I've worked in the real word long enough to understand two
things. At least where I live. If someone shows up at my door with a huge
vocabulary, big words, a suit, and promises and is trying to sell me
something most of what he says is probably B.S., but when I talk to my
machinist who's a "red neck", he shoots straight, talks loud and I can trust
what he has to say. I'm more interested in what a person does than what they
say, some of the best tradesmen in the world couldn't write a business
report or lecture in front of a crowd, But throw them a piece of wood or
metal and you'll see some universal language take shape. Language and
literacy are huge issues but correcting someone in front of a huge group
just belittles them and makes them not want to come back or speak/type. This
doesn't mean that they don't have something relevant to add.

When I was younger I worked at a donut & deli shop, one day a we'll dressed,
well kept and muscular fellow came in and walked up to the counter and asked
what type of sandwiches we had. I quickly pointed at the board above my head
and started helping other customers. A few minutes later he asked again what
type of sandwiches we had, a little irritated I pointed at the board and
took off to help someone else. A third time he caught me and started asking
if we had roast beef, ham, twelve-grain bread etc. I was irritated and about
to take off when he leaned over the counter and in front of dozens of
customers said, with a red face, "I'm really sorry to bother you, but I can't
read"

Guess who was the most embarrassed? I'm not sure if it was he or I, but I
can guarantee you that I try very hard not to judge anymore. I've learned
several similar lessons in life but I know that "people watch the way you
walk, and don't listen to the way you talk" preverbaly speaking of course.

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Doncha ya know Swingman, that the wimmenfolk expect all us guyz to be
PSYCHIC!!

And if we are not, it is just another failing on our part.

Yeah ... but if most would just finish a thought before they opened their
mouths to express it.

I love Jack Nicholson's line in "As Good As It Gets", when asked by the
woman interviewer how he developed his female characters:

"I think of a man, then remove all reason and accountability".

g, d & r

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 11:31 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
N Hurst wrote:
[...]

Man, if I took this kind of stuff personally, I'd have been sent to a
mental ward a decade ago. My reaction was the same as yours. Just a
bubbling over.

I'm probably good for another few years now. Thanks for being the
catalyst! :-D

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

HotRdd wrote:
Unfortunately I've worked in the real word long enough to understand two
things. At least where I live. If someone shows up at my door with a huge
vocabulary, big words, a suit, and promises and is trying to sell me
something most of what he says is probably B.S., but when I talk to my
machinist who's a "red neck", he shoots straight, talks loud and I can trust
what he has to say. I'm more interested in what a person does than what they
say,

Since we only see each other's words here, who is to tell who's wearing the
suit? All I can see is the words.

As for what they do, you only have their word for that as well. Few of us know
each other.

I apply different standards to the real world too... but this is Usenet. Don't
confuse it with the real world.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
ups.com...

While this is true, I do have a problem with people showing up in a
discussion in progress simply to correct someone, and contribute
nothing else. I admit I misspelled vise. If I could have edited the
entry, I would have, but this format doesn't allow that.

As it is, my meaning was quite clear, and issuing a corrective message
in that manner is pretty much the equivalent of intellictual
masturbation in my opinion. There's only one person it pleases, and it
gets the thread all messy.

Anyways, that's all I have to say on this subject because I really do
try to avoid "internet arguments." I would LOVE to read other people
gloating about deals they've scored, though.

-Nathan

Hey, It takes a person of superior intelligence that demonstrates the
multiple ways to spale any given word. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Feb 23, 2007, 11:31am mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
(Mortimer*Schnerd,*RN) doth sayeth:
I'm one who values spelling and grammar snip I say this knowing full
well I misspell and mistype words regularly... but I try to present my
best front to he world. snip

Yeah, me too. But I do it for myself, because I try to be as
precise (accurate) as I can in what I say, so I will say just what I
mean . I don't go around correcting people often (I hate Spelling and
Grammer Nazis); but I've got to say, too many times I don't understand
just what someone is after, "because" of their grammer, and/or
spelling..

JOAT
When in doubt, go to sleep.
- Mully Small

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Feb 23, 2007, 2:36pm mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
(Mortimer*Schnerd,*RN) dodth sayeth:
snip I apply different standards to the real world too... but this is
Usenet. Don't
confuse it with the real world.

I try never to say anything here I wouldn't say to your face.
Never know, you call someone a SOB here, one day you might meet him for
real, and he might be bigger, and meaner, then you, recall your words,
and proceeds to clock you.

JOAT
When in doubt, go to sleep.
- Mully Small

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gloat? How about acts of kindness and appreciation rewarded?

Update - Removing fire smoke smell .... from furniture.

In appreciation for the lady allowing (our upholstery class) me the
opportunity to salvage antique furniture from her burned warehouse, I
elected to restore (woodwork) and reupholster a bergere chair she had
at school. Our teacher told her what I was doing. The lady called me
and told me she would allow me into her other warehouse and select
whatever else I may want. She mentioned that she had 2 Hepplewhite
dining sets and that I should consider getting one of them. She gave
me the impression I would not be limited to selecting just one item.
The bergere chair is beginning to look sharp, again.

She visited us, at school, yesterday (Friday) and asked if I would
reupholster her car.... she, insisting on being a regular paying
customer. Note: We are not allowed monetary pay for school related
projects (assignments), however we are able, if advanced enough, to
accept outside jobs. Many people get to know our personal work,
during school, before we become certified, and trust, us, in our
growing ability for private work. I had restored/reupholstered a
bergere chair and matching stool, of my own, last semester, and she
knew my work with that.

I seem to have scored thrice: It pays to show kindness and
appreciation to someone (large returns when least expected), I think I
have an excellent reference for future upholstery work, and I have
some really nice gifts (of salvaged antique furniture, plus more that
has been offered).

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've actully seen that happen. Actually there was a car involved but you get
the picture and it was all because of the news group...