Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using templates: Sand or Rout to the line?

For cutting curves I have done it both ways. Cut close to the line traced
from a template and sand to the line OR cut close to the line and rout to
the template using a pattern bit.

Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top bearing). On
the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The down-grain pass never gives
me any problems. I have tried climb cutting on the up-grain pass with
limited success. It always grabs and pulls the wood from me.

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to sand
to the line while Marks like to rout.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 8:23 pm, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
For cutting curves I have done it both ways. Cut close to the line traced
from a template and sand to the line OR cut close to the line and rout to
the template using a pattern bit.

Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top bearing). On
the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The down-grain pass never gives
me any problems. I have tried climb cutting on the up-grain pass with
limited success. It always grabs and pulls the wood from me.

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to sand
to the line while Marks like to rout.

If I've already got the template made I generally rout it. Get
yourself a top and bottom bearing bit and you can flip the workpiece/
template over (assuming you've used carpet tape to attach it) and
won't have to worry about a climb cut at all.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to
sand
to the line while Marks like to rout.

If I've already got the template made I generally rout it. Get
yourself a top and bottom bearing bit and you can flip the workpiece/
template over (assuming you've used carpet tape to attach it) and
won't have to worry about a climb cut at all.

JP

Dam good tip!! That never occurred to me for some reason. Thanks!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I tend to route to the template. Reason is, if I screw up sanding the
template, I can make another one. The way to avoid chipout is to route from
the template side until the grain reverses then flip it over and go from the
other side. Note that you will need two router bits for this, one top and
the other bottom bearing. Another way is to use a bushing with a spiral bit.
Lot less tendency to tear out that way.

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
For cutting curves I have done it both ways. Cut close to the line traced
from a template and sand to the line OR cut close to the line and rout to
the template using a pattern bit.

Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top bearing). On
the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The down-grain pass never

gives
me any problems. I have tried climb cutting on the up-grain pass with
limited success. It always grabs and pulls the wood from me.

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to

sand
to the line while Marks like to rout.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

I tend to route to the template. Reason is, if I screw up sanding the
template, I can make another one. The way to avoid chipout is to route
from
the template side until the grain reverses then flip it over and go from
the
other side. Note that you will need two router bits for this, one top and
the other bottom bearing.

Good Tip!! Thanks.

Two answers given, my preferred the spiral and climb cut for multiples.
Pattern can be used with collar/bearing and registration pins and a cut from
other side. Usually pretty easy to add register points when making a
template a couple inches longer than the piece to make entry/exit easier.

For one-offs, spokeshave or sand. But I have an OSS

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

| Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top
| bearing). On the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The
| down-grain pass never gives me any problems. I have tried climb
| cutting on the up-grain pass with limited success. It always grabs
| and pulls the wood from me.

I almost always rout with a (software) template and clamp the
workpiece so that it _can't_ move relative to the template.

In a router table context, that translates into a firm attachment
between template and workpiece; and use of pilot bearings. Use
conventional/climb cut to suit the workpiece grain.

BTW, I've noticed that MLCS offers pattern/trim bits with pilot
bearings at _both_ ends of the cutter, so that you can flip the
workpiece and template, adjust the height of the bit, and keep going
without needing to change bits. I don't know if those are worth
spending for; but they might make some jobs go faster.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:

BTW, I've noticed that MLCS offers pattern/trim bits with pilot
bearings at _both_ ends of the cutter, so that you can flip the
workpiece and template, adjust the height of the bit, and keep going
without needing to change bits. I don't know if those are worth
spending for; but they might make some jobs go faster.

Thanks for the tip, Morris -- I'll be sure to have a look at that.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

BTW, I've noticed that MLCS offers pattern/trim bits with pilot
bearings at _both_ ends of the cutter, so that you can flip the
workpiece and template, adjust the height of the bit, and keep going
without needing to change bits. I don't know if those are worth
spending for; but they might make some jobs go faster.

Thanks Morris, I am going to look into that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line.

I bandsaw very close to the line, and then rout, including climb cutting
as appropriate. If the cut is light enough, I've never had issues climb
cutting.

FWIW, I sand the template to the line, so I guess I do all three! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

If I've already got the template made I generally rout it. Get
yourself a top and bottom bearing bit and you can flip the workpiece/
template over (assuming you've used carpet tape to attach it) and
won't have to worry about a climb cut at all.

Excellent suggestion!

Since I have several routers and bits with bearings at both ends, I
guess I could also just set up a second router until I spring for a
double bearing bit.

I don't have problems lightly climb cutting, but to not have to worry at
all...

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Feb 7, 2007, 8:23pm .@. (Stoutman) doth query:
snip Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line.
snip

Rout. I usually rout small details, so the sanding thingies I've
seen wouldn't be near small enough. Routing works very well for me.
However, anyone can feel free to sent me aalong some sanding thingies,
so I can try that too.

JOAT
Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will
acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.
- Johann Von Schiller

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
For cutting curves I have done it both ways. Cut close to the line traced
from a template and sand to the line OR cut close to the line and rout to
the template using a pattern bit.

Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top bearing). On
the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The down-grain pass never
gives me any problems. I have tried climb cutting on the up-grain pass
with limited success. It always grabs and pulls the wood from me.

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to
sand to the line while Marks like to rout.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Either and or both ways are correct depending on what you recognize the
grain is going to do.

How do I rout a panel out of a frame? Toller Woodworking 9 August 31st 06 04:11 PM
templates Eddie Woodworking 11 August 28th 06 03:29 PM
How do you rout for a miter slot? mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 8 August 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Door templates CNT Woodworking 2 July 13th 05 07:43 PM
construction templates Dan Shulman Home Repair 3 January 9th 05 04:29 AM