Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Using templates: Sand or Rout to the line?

On Feb 7, 8:23 pm, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
For cutting curves I have done it both ways. Cut close to the line traced
from a template and sand to the line OR cut close to the line and rout to
the template using a pattern bit.

Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top bearing). On
the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The down-grain pass never gives
me any problems. I have tried climb cutting on the up-grain pass with
limited success. It always grabs and pulls the wood from me.

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to sand
to the line while Marks like to rout.

If I've already got the template made I generally rout it. Get
yourself a top and bottom bearing bit and you can flip the workpiece/
template over (assuming you've used carpet tape to attach it) and
won't have to worry about a climb cut at all.

JP