Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman Stoutman is offline

Default Using templates: Sand or Rout to the line?

For cutting curves I have done it both ways. Cut close to the line traced
from a template and sand to the line OR cut close to the line and rout to
the template using a pattern bit.

Tonight I used the rout to the line with a pattern bit (top bearing). On
the up-grain pass I had a little chip out. The down-grain pass never gives
me any problems. I have tried climb cutting on the up-grain pass with
limited success. It always grabs and pulls the wood from me.

Which way do you do it? Rout to the line or sand to the line. I always
look back at how my TV buddies do it and it seems that Nahmie likes to sand
to the line while Marks like to rout.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com