Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TOp coat for desktop?

Its red oak 3/4 ply, with 1/8 oak as the desk top surface.
Im going to stain and put a on several coats of semigloss clear.
What would be the best clear coat to use for durability? It wouldnt
necessary be written on but would have books, and staplers, and etc slid
across its surface.
Lacquer or Polyurethane? 1/2 hr to recoat time is nice thing about lacquer
but I have lots of time also to put poly on if its more durable.

thanks for any tips

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've refinished a number of tables. Poly is MUCH more durable. So what,
it takes a day to properly dry. Don't be in a hurry! I have a cedar
chest made by my father-in-law that I refinished for my wife/wife-to-be
in 1959 with poly, and it looks as good as the day I did it. I am
inclined to the matte finish polys, however. I have used gloss on a
handrail, but that is to deal with finger prints, etc. Three or four
thin coats and rubbing down between should do the trick nicely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

thanks. I think poly is the way to go.

"professorpaul" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've refinished a number of tables. Poly is MUCH more durable. So what,
it takes a day to properly dry. Don't be in a hurry! I have a cedar
chest made by my father-in-law that I refinished for my wife/wife-to-be
in 1959 with poly, and it looks as good as the day I did it. I am
inclined to the matte finish polys, however. I have used gloss on a
handrail, but that is to deal with finger prints, etc. Three or four
thin coats and rubbing down between should do the trick nicely.

How to Apply the Last Coat of Poly for a Dining Table Top? [email protected] Woodworking 29 December 19th 06 05:08 PM
Top Coat Tung Oil D Steck Woodworking 2 January 29th 05 11:46 PM
Top Coat [email protected] Woodworking 7 January 11th 05 10:49 PM
Desktop Dr. deb Woodworking 2 October 18th 04 02:22 PM
Top Coat for Watco Danish Oil Finish???????? Jay Woodworking 7 November 8th 03 02:47 PM