Jay

Default Top Coat for Watco Danish Oil Finish????????

After putting watco finish on a cribbage board, should I top coat it with a
wipe on poly or brush on poly or should I just leave it alone after the
danish oil? Thanks

A Dog Named Stain

"Jay" wrote in message
After putting watco finish on a cribbage board, should I top coat it

with a
wipe on poly or brush on poly or should I just leave it alone after

the
danish oil? Thanks

Paste wax

(what? you didn't believe me the first time?)

Doug White

After putting watco finish on a cribbage board, should I top coat it with a
wipe on poly or brush on poly or should I just leave it alone after the
danish oil? Thanks

Wet sand with 600 grit emery paper and Watco's Satin wax. You will get
an unbelievably nice finish.

Doug White
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:23:06 -0800, "Jay"
brought forth from the murky depths:

After putting watco finish on a cribbage board, should I top coat it with a
wipe on poly or brush on poly or should I just leave it alone after the
danish oil? Thanks

Leave it. Denib the top coat with 320 grit, then fondle
it a bit to get your skin oils on it. It gets better from
there, as it's touched.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Mike G

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are going to put a building
finish on it, it was kind of waste of time to have put the Danish oil on to
start with.

Danish oil is a nice oil finish that gives some greater protection then the
lower test Tung and Boiled linseed oil.

In any case the Danish oil should suffice for a cribbage board finish.

Rule one of finishing
Decide on a finish at the same time you start planning a project. Finishing
is NOT an after thought

Rule two of finishing
Decide what kind of protection a piece will need

Rule three
Decide what look you want

Rule four
Pick a finish that satisfies both. This can mean having to make a compromise
or two

Rule
If one insists on making a finish an after thought slap poly on it

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"Jay" wrote in message
After putting watco finish on a cribbage board, should I top coat it with

wipe on poly or brush on poly or should I just leave it alone after the
danish oil? Thanks

Michael Daly

On 7-Nov-2003, "Jay" wrote:

After putting watco finish on a cribbage board, should I top coat it with a
wipe on poly or brush on poly or should I just leave it alone after the
danish oil?

Speaking not as a woodworker, but as a cribbage player, I'd say you want
it to be wood. Not plastic or fancy finish or gloss or museum piece -
wood. Something that feels, smells and looks like wood. Oil at the
most. Use wooden match sticks for pegs. Play.

Mike

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM
' Help! Rough surface after poly coat!' Ron Magen Woodworking 0 October 1st 03 01:49 PM