Dr. deb

Default Desktop

I am getting ready to build an office desk out of 1" pecan and was wondering
how to finish the ends. I could breadboard them, but that would not look
the best on a desktop. What about making the top about 2" longer than I
need and use the cutoff to give the look of a 2" piece. The front and back
would also have a piece of 1" stock glued to them, (where cross grain is
not a problem.) I would miter the side and end pieces to give a finished
look

Since the end piece is also cross grain, of the same board, there should be
no glue up problems, Right?

Deb
Never Enough Money

Your idea about malinking it look 2" thick sounds good.

I don't exactly understand your last question -- gluing end-grain is
usually a bad idea even if it is two pieces of the same species.....

"Dr. deb" wrote in message ...
I am getting ready to build an office desk out of 1" pecan and was wondering
how to finish the ends. I could breadboard them, but that would not look
the best on a desktop. What about making the top about 2" longer than I
need and use the cutoff to give the look of a 2" piece. The front and back
would also have a piece of 1" stock glued to them, (where cross grain is
not a problem.) I would miter the side and end pieces to give a finished
look

Since the end piece is also cross grain, of the same board, there should be
no glue up problems, Right?

Deb

Duck

Hi -

I built an L-shaped desk top out of oak and encountered the same question.
I cut the length 4" short on each end (the width of the boards I glued
together to make the top), then glued up another board on each end
perpendicular to the length of the desk top, mitering the corners. The
finished product looks something like this: